Question Terrible Input lag and fps no matter what I do, strange FPS graphs, please help

Oct 30, 2022
Hi guys,

I have been playing Rocket League competitively, and the last few weeks I have been getting terrible input lag (feels much worse than console, feels like at least 100-200ms delay) and strange fps behavior which persists no matter what I try. I am on the verge of buying a new computer but would like to ask for some help that maybe I could save this one.

Specs:
i5 8600k
1070 Ti
ASUS PRIME Z370-P Motherboard
16 GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2400MHz RAM (HX424C15FW2K2/16)
970 evo 500GB plus an unused seagate 2tb
Monitor: ROG SWIFT 360Hz PG259QN

The issue in detail:
The biggest pain is the input lag but the fps is very unstable. Usually the average fps hangs out just below my refresh rate. If I uncap my fps the computer can easily stay above 450fps but it feels super choppy and the input lag is still there. All of the tests I did with G-sync on and off (really all off through inspector), and the results were exactly the same. As a side note, my temps always are good and there is no overheating.
When I set my monitor to 360hz and match that with 360fps the fps looks like this:
View: https://imgur.com/a/Mv5Dxrk

If I set my monitor to 360hz and limit the game to 240fps, it looks like this
View: https://imgur.com/a/iJaRwSu

If I set my monitor to 240hz and game to 240fps this happens, the game feels best in this config, it feels jittery with frame stutters as you can see but most importantly the severe input lag is still there. I get the exact same behavior when monitor is 360hz on a 240fps frame cap:
View: https://imgur.com/a/jiM2FGT

144 and 60hz have similar issues.

What I have tried so far:
First tried every optimization I could find, unparked cpus, messed around with profile inspector etc. (mosty stuff from youtube), reinstalling drivers etc
Then tried changing GPU to a 1070 I had, no change
Tried using a different monitor, didn't help
'Soft' reset of windows 11
Full SSD wipe and reinstall of windows 11
Full wipe and downgrade (really an upgrade imo) to windows 10
Reseated CPU
Tried fully wiping drivers with DDU (in safe mode, done twice) then reinstalling latest drivers
Installed ASUS monitor drivers and all motherboard/chipset drivers
Tried different controllers and keyboards
Tried with XMP on and off, no change
Disabled all cpu powersaving settings in BIOS

If you got this far, thank you for reading and I really appreciate any help since this is a super frustrating issue.

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
and the last few weeks I have been getting terrible input

What changed that caused the issue?

If you got this far, thank you for reading and I really appreciate any help

Did you try with 2nd set of peripherals?

Since while peripherals failure is relatively rare, it still is one possible causes of input lag.

Also, further reading dealing with input lag. And while you've done several already listed there, you haven't done all;
link: https://techguided.com/what-is-input-lag-how-can-you-fix-test-it/

Now, it could be game issue as well. Have you:
  • reinstalled the game?
  • tried the game on 2nd PC?

Btw, if you run Win11, then i can't help regarding Win settings, since i'm running Win10 and my knowledge goes up to that.

Oct 30, 2022
What changed that caused the issue?

Did you try with 2nd set of peripherals?

Since while peripherals failure is relatively rare, it still is one possible causes of input lag.

Also, further reading dealing with input lag. And while you've done several already listed there, you haven't done all;
link: https://techguided.com/what-is-input-lag-how-can-you-fix-test-it/

Now, it could be game issue as well. Have you:
  • reinstalled the game?
  • tried the game on 2nd PC?
Btw, if you run Win11, then i can't help regarding Win settings, since i'm running Win10 and my knowledge goes up to that.
Thanks for the reply, I have tried with multiple controllers and keyboards. I have reinstalled the game yes, and had to after resetting windows of course. I am currently on windows 10. Also, I have tried overclocking my controller which used to help but now it does not. Nothing I noticed caused the issue to start in particular it just started one day and gradually been getting worse. I have tried everything in that article to no avail.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Since Rocket League is online game, perhaps look towards network/internet issue?
Now, it is possible, that your ISP is experiencing some load on their network, which then manifests in the stutter/FPS drop you're seeing. Trying with another ISP could remedy that. But i know that often, trying with another ISP isn't an option. (E.g unless your PC has wi-fi connection and you haul it to your friends/family place, who has different ISP than you do.)

Might also look at Rocket League official forums, perhaps devs (or other players) have seen it happen before and can help you on this.

Oct 30, 2022
Since Rocket League is online game, perhaps look towards network/internet issue?
Now, it is possible, that your ISP is experiencing some load on their network, which then manifests in the stutter/FPS drop you're seeing. Trying with another ISP could remedy that. But i know that often, trying with another ISP isn't an option. (E.g unless your PC has wi-fi connection and you haul it to your friends/family place, who has different ISP than you do.)

Might also look at Rocket League official forums, perhaps devs (or other players) have seen it happen before and can help you on this.
The issue happens in offline training as well so it couldn't really be network related. Thanks for the help and I'll try the rocket league forum