Question Terrible Microstuttering

d1videdinfinity

Reputable
Mar 28, 2019
I'm losing my mind trying to fix this issue. I have a GTX1080, i76700k, 32gb ram, z170pro motherboard and running games from an ssd. I've been gaming on PC for probably 3 years. This was my first build. First of all, I'm gaming on a TV (Samsung 55" 60hz) set to game mode to minimise input lag. I know it's not ideal and I should get a monitor but I can't afford one right now.

My issue is when playing Apex Legends or rather any game, with vsync off I get horrible microstutter or horrible screen tearing. This goes away when I use vsync but the issue is replaced with terrible input lag. I've tried running custom configs to lock the framerate, results in screen tear, rivatuner: screen tearing, rivatuner + vsync:input lag, updated all drivers across the board, no effect. There must be a solution out there to eliminate both these issues. What actually causes the microstutter?
Even if i lock the framerate to a few frames below (57) my TV's refresh rate I get screentearing, how is this possible? I've tried every decimal from 57.0 through 63.0 and can't stop the screentears. Anybody have any solution outside of buying a monitor?

No, there is no solution for this outside of buying a high refresh rate monitor. The issues you are seeing are due to the TV not being able to draw as many frames as your computer is sending, causing dropped frames (the micro-stutter) and screen tears (caused when more than one image is on the screen at once).

At 60 FPS the input lag is between 16-20 ms
At 200 FPS the input lag is at 5ms.

Obviously, the difference in input lag is substantial. When building a PC, all of your components need to match each other for a smooth experience. Your best bet would be to try overclocking the TV refresh rate, then turning V-Sync on. Keep in mind, this will still not give you the optimal experience, and you would be lucky if your TV could even overclock.

d1videdinfinity

Reputable
Mar 28, 2019
No, there is no solution for this outside of buying a high refresh rate monitor. The issues you are seeing are due to the TV not being able to draw as many frames as your computer is sending, causing dropped frames (the micro-stutter) and screen tears (caused when more than one image is on the screen at once).

At 60 FPS the input lag is between 16-20 ms
At 200 FPS the input lag is at 5ms.

Obviously, the difference in input lag is substantial. When building a PC, all of your components need to match each other for a smooth experience. Your best bet would be to try overclocking the TV refresh rate, then turning V-Sync on. Keep in mind, this will still not give you the optimal experience, and you would be lucky if your TV could even overclock.
Thanks for replying my friend! I did not know about overclocking displays so I looked into it, had a go and unfortunately my TV doesn't support it. But, it's good to know that I've tried everything regarding my issues and buying a monitor will (most likely) solve it. I might just go all out when I can afford it and go for a 240hz monitor. 2019 and screen tearing is still prevalent.

Thanks for replying my friend! I did not know about overclocking displays so I looked into it, had a go and unfortunately my TV doesn't support it. But, it's good to know that I've tried everything regarding my issues and buying a monitor will (most likely) solve it. I might just go all out when I can afford it and go for a 240hz monitor. 2019 and screen tearing is still prevalent.
I am glad I was able to help. Please select my answer as the best answer to let everyone know that the question has been answered. If you have any more questions, please feel free to send me a message, I'd be more than happy to help!