Question Terrible packet loss on any game i play ?

Sep 19, 2023
I have recently moved and when I did I had to switch ISPs to Sparklight. I have been in an uphill battle with them since the moment my service started because I have around a 20% packet loss rate usually during the night. I have tried EVERYTHING to get them to see it but they will not give me the time of day. My ping command and tracert both show packets being lost but they will not take accountability. On my ping plotter especially at night the loss is BAD. Anyone have any tips on what i can do to fix it myself or at least get them to see the problem?

Specific RIOT server pingplotter:
https://share.pingplotter.com/adVdcHXqYNu

Last edited:
Try some other more common IP like 8.8.8.8. or 1.1.1.1. These are DNS servers that are duplicated in multiple cities and tend to be closer to where you live.

In many ways your ISP should not "take accountability". Your pingplot show that the problem starts in hop 4. That is another ISP called century link who purchased level 3 years ago. This appears to be one of the ISP the game company buys from.

So good luck trying to call another ISP who you do not actually buy services from. You could try to call the game company and get them to call their ISP but this is also someplace far away from their actual data centers because of the latency. Your ISP has a very similar issue who can they actually contact to fix this.

All these IP have very high latency as though you are going all the way across the country.

In general you are going to have massive issues try to get something fixed that is not in hop 1 (your house) or hop 2 (the connection between your house and the isp). Your best option in many of these cases is try one of the so called "gaming VPN" companies. They are mostly targeted at gamers in asia who are using ISP that have poor connectivity to direct undersea fiber. You might get lucky and their network uses a different path that does not flow through the routers that are having a issue.

If it happens at a certain time it could be something like backups daily. I know for icloud it happens at the same time every night and I don't think they were letting people adjust it. something like that probably wouldn't last forever though unless you had a full pc backing everything up every night which wouldn't be ideal. You could try with just a single client or check if your router has any way to check current throughput. Some have basic charts or if you're lucky iftop.