Terrible performance for my spec (GTX 1080) - How to troubleshoot?

Sep 4, 2018
I've been having problems with my machine for a long while now when it comes to performance while gaming. The rig originally started as a stock built Dell machine but I picked the parts and put it in a better case with better cooling and a better PSU.

My problem is, my FPS in many games dips well below what is considered the norm for my GPU. The worst example being the Battlefield games. In BF1, and now in BFV I am getting around 45-80 FPS with frequent dips on a GTX 1080. Most recently I just booted up the BFV beta and had just 30-40FPS with the game freezing at times. Something's wrong here right? I just can't figure out what.

Case: S340 Elite
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1080 (Founders Edition)
CPU: Intel i7-6700K
CPU cooler: NZXT x62 Kraken
RAM: 16GB DDR4 2133MHz (unknown brand - came with Dell unit)
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 650W

Monitor 1: AOC G2460PG (Primary monitor)
Monitor 2: Dell Ultrasharp U2414H

Sep 4, 2018

Temps seem fine but I'll double check them. What would be my best way to test? I've got HWInfo, CPU-Z, MSI Afterburner etc. Which is best for monitoring temps?

Sep 4, 2018

Just double checked and I think my RAM might be dual channel actually sorry? I always thought dual channel meant having two sticks but I've double checked my original Dell invoice and it's stated as:

"DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 16GB, 2133, 2RX8, 8G, DDR4, NU"

I think it may still be slowing me down but I always see people mention that RAM has little impact on gamin. I don't want to go and buy 2 new sticks (especially with the price of RAM currently) only to find it has no impact :(

What would be my best bet to check how the CPU is doing / see if the RAM is a bottleneck?

Sep 4, 2018

Ah you're right, I checked CPU-Z and it does indeed state single-channel. I've run the PassMark benchmark, not sure how to export / upload the results so I've taken screencaps. I can dig deeper if need be?

gpvnLS1.png

Czgn9pp.png

QHGAa4s.png

cNl3HSN.png

rg2Miau.png

Sep 4, 2018
Note for anyone with the same issue and searching "Battlefield 1 V low FPS GTX 1080 RAM"

I picked up 2 x 8GB sticks of 3200 MHz RAM (Corsair Vengeance) and have just installed after doing some benchmarks in 10 games.

Here is my new PassMark summary compared to my old RAM (Note the 3D, CPU and Memory scores):

dhtVcDf.png

Here is my benchmark comparison for RAM Upgrade - Single Channel 16GB DDR4 2133MHz vs Dual Channel 16GB DDR4 3200MHz:

KrZYoHo.png

Thank you kerberos_20 for confirming my suspicions and making me take a shot at this fix. It's done WONDERS for my performance!