Question Terrible performance in Planetside 2 despite FPS and ping seeming okay?

Arrighi

Honorable
Mar 24, 2017
Hi there, so I've noticed when playing Planetside 2 that I occasionally have issues where the game only partially recognises an input (e.g. it'd show that I've switched weapons in the bottom right and my crosshair changes, but the gun in my hand doesn't switch to the gun I changed to and I can't do anything with the new weapon). Furthermore, the game seems to only partially render even nearby objects, but I'm not entirely sure why the game would have trouble rendering. My FPS and ping are both fine, and my PC specs are well above what's required (16GB DDR4 RAM, was on an HDD but I put it on an SSD and same issue, 1060 GTX 3GB VRAM, i5-6400). My internet connection is a good speed as well, about 60Mb/s (megabits).

Video of the issue

Link to a post about this I made on /r/planetside

Link to another reddit post about this issue

TRIED:
  • switching the storage device the game is on: I bought a brand new SSD with loads of spare room, didn't work
  • toggling with vsync, "reduce input lag" settings, switching between windowed, fullscreen and borderless, etc.
  • toggling with graphics, texture settings, shadows, etc
  • reinstalling the game twice
  • running the game with and without Steam (using the standalone client)
  • reinstalling all of my drivers
  • ensuring in nvidia settings that the game IS using my GPU, although if the issue were that the game was using on-board graphics I'd assume that'd be reflected in an extremely low FPS, which I don't seem to have?
  • verifying integrity of game files
  • removing dust from inside my computer
  • intel's CPU health check (came back fine)
  • inspecting for any form of damage on my GPU... none found

Any attempt to help would be greatly appreciated :)

Arrighi

Honorable
Mar 24, 2017
CPU temp:
Core 0: 68
Core 1: 70
Core 2: 64
Core 3: 66
All degrees C

CPU usage: 100% (80% is from the game so this might be the issue? Not sure why the game would use up so much of my CPU tho)

GPU temp: 60, usage 25%

SSD has a ton of space, about 400GB remaining

PSU is a Corsair CX600 I think

Arrighi

Honorable
Mar 24, 2017
idle temp seems to be the same - perhaps they're just poorly ventilated?

freq is 3,08 GHz in task manager under performance, Core Temp lists it as 3092,44 MHz (99,76 x 31,0)