fmwyso

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Hello, I have a Corsair Voyager 16GB thumb drive. I currently have it formatted to NTFS 64KB, but have also tried NTFS 512byte and 2048byte. In each formatting, my random speeds seem to be very small... I got the following results using CrystalDiskMark. http://i.imgur.com/OjE2K.png. This was using NTFS 64KB; the 512/2048 results were all equal or lower speeds.

The reason I checked my speeds in the first place is because I keep on getting some slow speeds when I am trying to run portable apps. For example, Firefox takes an enormous amount of time to load a page [which, I am guessing, is because it is randomly writing files for cache or etc.?]. It still has good speeds for transferring large files; but running portable apps is a pain because of all the small random reading/writing. This has been tested on XP, Vista & 7.

Are the speeds I got normal or are they excessively slow on randoms? What are some possible fixes to my problem?

Solution
You can't expect to get very fast read/write speeds out of a thumb drive. For one thing you are going through the usb interface and over time the thumb drives are known for deteriorating especially if you use it a lot. I do think if you read some of the feed back on that peticular drive you will see that some people say thiers don't last more than a year. Don't get me wrong I have Corsair usb drives myself and I have had good success but they don't last forever and if you use it a lot the memory chips will get slower over time.
You can't expect to get very fast read/write speeds out of a thumb drive. For one thing you are going through the usb interface and over time the thumb drives are known for deteriorating especially if you use it a lot. I do think if you read some of the feed back on that peticular drive you will see that some people say thiers don't last more than a year. Don't get me wrong I have Corsair usb drives myself and I have had good success but they don't last forever and if you use it a lot the memory chips will get slower over time.

Solution