Question Terrible speeds between my router and specific phone

danstar10

Prominent
Nov 4, 2019
Hello,
I have the Dlink DIR-826L router and I am having issues with speed when connected to a specific mobile device.

I have the router running wired to my PC and wireless to my PS4 and both connections get great speed, around 25mbps as it should be.

However when I try to connect it to my mobile phone the speeds I get are pretty useless, often less than 1mbps. But sometimes it will get 25 for a short time, and it often fluctuates a lot during the speedtest. It's generally to useless to watch a vid on youtube for example without a lot of continual buffering at 480p.

My phone is a Samsung J7 neo which is fairly basic. But it connects fine to other wifi, for example at work I have no problems. as far as I can tell it does not support 5Ghz and only 2.4Ghz as I only see that network. Friends seem to be able to connect to my wifi just fine with their phones. The connection strength is always full, just the speeds I get on that device are mostly useless.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I assume it is router related as the phone is fine on other wifi networks.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Dan

danstar10

Prominent
Nov 4, 2019
Thanks for the reply. I deleted the system cache and now it seems a little faster on the speed test, around 7mpbs. But as it is so inconsistent I'll have to try it over the next few days and report back.

One other thing is it always seems to be ok at upload speeds, just the download that is throttled. Not sure if that will give any more clues.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply. I deleted the system cache and now it seems a little faster on the speed test, around 7mpbs. But as it is so inconsistent I'll have to try it over the next few days and report back.

One other thing is it always seems to be ok at upload speeds, just the download that is throttled. Not sure if that will give any more clues.

Cheers
Have you tried doing a distance test? It may be that your phones wifi antenna is weak. Stand close to the router and restart your phone, see what readings you get. Then walk a few steps and repeat, do this till it gets really weak and see if there is a distance factor involved. Also try putting your router wifi signal on a different channel, it may be being blocked by your neighbors wifi using the same channel. That may be the reason you can upload at better speed, because you are sending, and getting slow download speed because you are receiving then.

danstar10

Prominent
Nov 4, 2019
Yes I have tried te distance test. And the reception on the phone wifi is always full so it has a good connection.

I tried a speed test again this morning and I got super terrible speeds, sustained at around 0.4mbps. lol. So I guess the phone system cache didn't fix it.

I'll try the wifi channel tonight when I get back.

Cheers

danstar10

Prominent
Nov 4, 2019
I tried updating the firmware and changing the wireless channel to a few different ones but still no improvements!

Any more ideas for some things I could try?

Cheers

danstar10

Prominent
Nov 4, 2019
Sorry been away for a few days.
Where would I find the IP address on my router? Do you mean physically printed on it? Or the numbers I put in the address bar to get to the router options?

Cheers