Question Terrible Stuttering/Lagging in-game (RX 5700 XT)

Mar 29, 2020
Hello,

Below are my specs:
Optix MAG321CQR 2560x1440p 144hz Monitor
RX 5700 XT GPU
i5 9600k CPU
16 GB G. Skill Trident Z RAM

I am getting TERRIBLE stuttering/laggingin specific games, even though my framerate never drops below 60. It is noticeable when I get closer to 60 FPS. I am fine during Overwatch, but for example Modern Warfare and Metro: Exodus is terrible.

I am thinking it has to do with the GPU, not the monitor. I recently upgraded from a Zotac AMP! GTX 1070 and had no issues.

I am using freesync but not enhanced sync. Any thoughts as to what's causing this?

joleske1738

Commendable
Sep 10, 2017
It could be the 5700 xt as it is known to have driver issues atm. Try setting everything on your monitor to default and see how it runs. Also, download the latest bios version. LMK

Apr 18, 2020
I had very huge lag , the solution was after installing windows 10 do all updates wait them to finish and after that install the amd driver for graphics card that fixed all my problems and systems runs just fine now.

Oct 26, 2020
Hello,

Below are my specs:
Optix MAG321CQR 2560x1440p 144hz Monitor
RX 5700 XT GPU
i5 9600k CPU
16 GB G. Skill Trident Z RAM

I am getting TERRIBLE stuttering/laggingin specific games, even though my framerate never drops below 60. It is noticeable when I get closer to 60 FPS. I am fine during Overwatch, but for example Modern Warfare and Metro: Exodus is terrible.

I am thinking it has to do with the GPU, not the monitor. I recently upgraded from a Zotac AMP! GTX 1070 and had no issues.

I am using freesync but not enhanced sync. Any thoughts as to what's causing this?
What is your psu? I had similar issues and narrowed it down to being under-spec. Contrary to belief, I can prove that a 500w can TRY to pull more than 500w and instead of shutting of, it lowers it's own wattage sporadically because it can't sustain it, causing unbearable lag spikes and stutters. Either this, or your pc shuts off, but I find it shuts off after being tortured for a while (heats up.)

Am planning on making a post explaining my findings as everyone seems to be under the impression "if it powers up, it handles it because if it couldn't, it would shut down," and I will provide videos with tests that show in real time the wattage draw of a fully built system with this card in it...Draws well over 500w like nothing. I personally recommend 650 to 700w, no less. Unless you have a VERY low power cpu and almost no drives or case fans then maybe a 600w. But even AMD recommending just 550w, is just barely giving you room to unlock the card's power limit (Card pulls 250w+ when power limit at +50) That's as much as a 2080ti...so yeah.

I have an EVGA 500w Bronze, and my computer was "trying" to exceed loads of 500w, peaking sometimes at 520w, and then it drops about 100 to 200w suddenly because it can't sustain it. This continues and you get stutters and eventually shuts off. Props to EVGA , that psu handles a peak of 500w sustained. A single watt more, and it drops hundreds down.