Question Terrible upload speeds only on desktop, all other PCs and phones OK ?

Feb 18, 2023
Thread title is self-explanatory but here are some more details about my situation:

My PC, which should get the best internet connection in the house because it's by far the fastest machine (i-9, 32 gig RAM) and uses an ethernet connection, gets the following speeds:

309 down, 3.16 up, ping 4 ms

Every other phone and laptop in the house is fine.

When I use this PC with wifi instead of ethernet I get the reverse disparity between down and up: 2.09 down, 36.86 up.

A typical "other device" reading is my phone, getting wifi at 33.7 down, 38.6 up.

The PC is right next to the router. I mention proximity because I saw that advice on another thread.

I've tried upgrading to the latest Win 11 release, tried upgrading router drivers.

Thanks for whatever you can tell me! And please let me know if I can supply more information.

Feb 18, 2023
What is your pc build?

Dell 8930 desktop, i9-9900 at 3.10MHz
32 GB memory
Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Here's the rundown from the order:
1JJNK​
1​
Module,Setting/Settings,Middle East,DISABLE,M6800
GXXX9​
1​
MOD,LBL,REG,XPS,FSJ,8930,GOLD
PVWDR​
1​
MOD,LBL,INTEL,CI9,9,SML
1CT34​
1​
Module,Label,Regulatory,T7610,Dell Americas Organization
DHCKG​
1​
Module,Label,Advanced Micro Devices,A9,All In One
CU031​
1​
Module,Mouse,2BTN,Optical Black,Logitech,DI
01WYF​
1​
MOD-SRV,SW,XPS,8930
VC4TK​
1​
MOD-SRV,SW,NTWK,DW1810-20,8930
V29C2​
1​
Ship Group,Extreme Performance System,L10,8910,Foxconn,Dell Americas Organization
M4RF6​
1​
Module,Shipping Material,System,Extreme Performance System,Vimax (Kunsha,Dell Americas Organization
5F47M​
1​
Module,Software,Dolby Laboratories Licensing Corp,Optical Device Drive,License,Factory Install
85Y47​
1​
Module,Software,COMMONBUILD,Across Line Of Business
R6R97​
1​
Module,Software,Cyberlink,Suite,ESLS,2.0,Digital Video Disk Drive
CJ0YG​
1​
Module,Software, CYB,MPEG2,W8
0P1H1​
1​
MOD,SW,QFE,WIN10
VTDCK​
1​
Module,Software,SMOD,Extreme Performance System,W10,US/CAN
MTYW0​
1​
Module,Software,OFCTOPK,Multiple User Interface,Factory Install
417KX​
1​
MOD,SW,W10,EDITION,PRO
54981​
1​
Module,Information,NOSOUND,NOSPEAKER
JJ8DK​
1​
MOD,SW,WIN10,64,ENGLISH,WW
T5WG4​
1​
MOD,THRM,HTSNK,65W,8930
8G8J6​
1​
MOD,SW,DPK,W10,32/64,PRO
K337X​
1​
MOD,HD,2T,S3,7.2K,3.5,SGT-V11X
HJNWM​
1​
Module,Screw,M.2,Software Support Diskette,R5/VM
01W11​
1​
Module,Dvd+/-Rw,8X,Hitachi Lg Data Storage,BARE,Across Line Of Business
01D46​
1​
Module,Keyboard,104,United States,KB212B,W8,Ship In Box
TWGPV​
1​
MOD,CHAS,850W,GOLD,ODD,SE,8930
0293D​
1​
Module,Cord,Power,120V,6 Ft
6F8H7​
1​
MOD,CRD,GRPHC,2070,MLK,8930
XJRPK​
1​
MOD,DIMM,32GB,4X8G,2667,UD,NE
X4YKN​
1​
MOD,PRC,I9-9900,65W,9TH
YJ5C8​
1​
MOD,CRD,NTWK,M2,1810AC,WW,CSMB

Feb 18, 2023
Anyone? I'm still getting 310 down/2.7 up.

The funnest part is that this is relatively new; I was getting very reasonable speeds on upload before (in the same ballpark as download).

Feb 18, 2023
The problem persists.
Ethernet: 309.95 down, 2.99 up, ping 6.
With wifi I get the reverse: 1.96 down, 38.41 up.

Does anyone have any ideas? Full specs posted above.

Maybe nothing but I did notice you have a killer ethernet chipset. These were garbage and many people avoided motherboards that had their parts. I thought it was dead when intel bough them but now intel is starting to put out this garbage "gamer" network software.

If you are lucky you can just install the killer app that is related to favoring certain traffic over others. For a very long time that was not enough you had to install a completely different device driver to remove all the extra "killer" features. You used to be able to download the drivers without the killer features.
I have no idea where you get those drivers now. The chipset you are using is one of the later ones that they did not have as much garbage in the driver itself as earlier ones.

Killer also has a lot of issues with things like tcp offload which is a setting in some nics. You want to turn that feature off.

If you have a extra pcie slot a add in ethernet card is fairly inexpensive.

Reactions: IamMNTY
Feb 18, 2023
Really helpful and thorough response, Bill.

OK, first thing, this happened only relatively recently. I've had the system for 30 months, and this didn't happen for at least the first two years. I was getting 300-ish up and down for all that time, testing frequently. Then this. Which makes me guess that may be a Windows or driver thing rather than HW.

I tried using the Killer software for a while, was probably using it when I reported the first results. It did zero for me. I just disabled it in startup.

The idea of adding an ethernet card is a good one, albeit deeply desperate. I will look at that idea.

Would you perhaps be able to refer me to any previous discussions where people were able to download different drivers that didn't use the "killer" software?

Thanks again, really helpful!

Last edited:
It does little good. The killer web site has been gone for a long time now since killer was purchased by intel. Now maybe the old killer drivers are someplace on intel sites but if they are they hide them well I never found them but I also didn't spend huge time looking.

You might get a generic windows driver to work. I maybe wrong but if I remember correctly killer was based on a realtec chip.

Feb 18, 2023
Just now found an answer that worked for me, on a Microsoft website, where StephenRudolph says,
I downloaded the most recent (as of 3/5/23) Killer drivers Killer-PCIe-Ethernet-Controller-Driver_RWTJJ_WIN_33.22.1182_A50.exe and when I ran it I got 3 choices: modify, repair, remove. I chose the remove and after it finished there was a restart and voila DL and UL speeds were at or above my ISP plan! Yay. The driver was 9.0.0.50 and there was no Killer Performance software. I did set a restore point.
The Remove option worked for me. Now I'm back up to 307.89 down, 236.01 up (after being under 3.0 up for months).

Two things to note:

1. after I chose the remove option and ran the installation routine, I did get an error prompt saying it had NOT completed correctly. That concerned me, but I decided to just reboot anyway.

2. my problem did not start until a few months ago. That made me reasonably sure the problem was caused by an update I'd installed at some point.

Thought I'd come back and share that answer with you guys.

Thanks so much StephenRudolph!

Feb 18, 2023
Subsequent test: 309.96 down, 341.9 up.

This is in line with speeds I was getting like a year back on this machine, before I downloaded the fatal update. As I recall, upload speeds were always in the ballpark but a little faster than downloads.

Removing works!

TRENDING THREADS