[SOLVED] Terrible WIFI speeds all of a sudden?

bamitscon

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
Solution
These posts get easily lost unless you watch carefully. The other problem is you issue can be caused by so many things it is hard to say. Key here is your phone uses different wifi chipsets. It might be in the same room but the antenna on your PC are in a slightly different location and likely very close to the big metal box of your computer case.

Very tiny difference in antenna location can make a huge difference. All kinds of stupid stuff block wifi. Things like mirrors or a microwave oven in the path and moving the pc just a little one way or another might make a difference.

But the first thing to do is go to tplink and try to find the latest driver for your device. Your device uses RTL8812AE chipset. The latest...

Lutfij

Titan
Could you please parse the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

include the OS version as well as the BIOS version for your motherboard. Have you tried reinstalling your chipset drivers and then manually uninstalling and reinstalling your wireless adapter's drives in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

As for the driver, the latest can be found here, considering how you parsed an Amazon.co.uk link, so I chose UK's support site for the adapter.

bamitscon

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

include the OS version as well as the BIOS version for your motherboard. Have you tried reinstalling your chipset drivers and then manually uninstalling and reinstalling your wireless adapter's drives in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

As for the driver, the latest can be found here, considering how you parsed an Amazon.co.uk link, so I chose UK's support site for the adapter.
I have a system specs from Speccy here, as for the Bios version how would i check?
https://gyazo.com/0149d8c4c17acc77f5809e24799c0de0

bamitscon

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

replies with what you want and you havent replied for 7 days lol

These posts get easily lost unless you watch carefully. The other problem is you issue can be caused by so many things it is hard to say. Key here is your phone uses different wifi chipsets. It might be in the same room but the antenna on your PC are in a slightly different location and likely very close to the big metal box of your computer case.

Very tiny difference in antenna location can make a huge difference. All kinds of stupid stuff block wifi. Things like mirrors or a microwave oven in the path and moving the pc just a little one way or another might make a difference.

But the first thing to do is go to tplink and try to find the latest driver for your device. Your device uses RTL8812AE chipset. The latest drivers from realtek are a couple years old so you may have the current ones. The big problem is windows update will sometime load generic ones. If this is true you are going to have to find the correct ones and the dig around to find the option that prevents windows from updating drivers.

Also be sure that you are using the correct radio channel. Many people leave the SSID the same for the 2.4g and 5g radios. Your phone might be using one radio band and the pc the other. In either case I would test both. 2.4g tends to be slower but has better coverage. 2.4g though should still easily be able to get 25mbps.

Solution