Question Terrifying "fuse" sound now pc is fine again?

fozzie52

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2013
Hello,

I'm once again in over my head.

Rog maximus x hero
Intel i7-8700k
Gtx 1070 gigabyte X2 in sli (boo)
Corsair cv650 80 plus
32gb ram

I built this pc maybe a year ago out of a bunch of new-old stock. CPU and graphics cards were second hand though.

It's been going great guns until today where out of nowhere it made a noise like a fuse blowing and switched itself off.

I thought it was dead but to my suprise it restarted itself almost immediately and seems to be fine, but I want to know the cause of what happened.

I had a look in device manager for something reporting not working but all seems ok, switched it off and looked for any sort of electrical burn marks.

Only thing I can see is on my graphics cards, the fans are only spinning on the top card and only 2/3 are spinning on that card, but I think more cut in when things get demanding.

Qcode on the mobo just says "40" which I gather is fine

Event viewer shows ;
The process C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe (DESKTOP) has initiated the power off of computer DESKTOP on behalf of user Desktop\09fos for the following reason: Other (Unplanned)
Reason Code: 0x0
Shut-down Type: power off

just prior to that;
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
Windows.SecurityCenter.WscDataProtection
and APPID
Unavailable
to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.
means nothing to me, there was a few similar to that.

theres also a ton of errors for "NVIDIA localsystem container service" and other nvidia related stuff

Is there somewhere I should be looking for a fault code or something? Some sort of troubleshooting I can do? I'd hate for it to happen again and fry something.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, this is an absolutely frightening scenario. This should never have been attempted with this PSU given that this is a cheaply made, group-regulated PSUs designed for light PCs. I wouldn't have used *one* GTX 1070 with this. And given that you've already *had* a serious power issue with this PSU, it can never be trusted with anything important again.