Tesla, Panasonic Agree to Build Gigafactory

Status
Not open for further replies.

akom

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
Great news, considering this is one of the steps Tesla needed to take to get the pricing down for their next planned car (formerly "Model E"), which they aim to get 200 miles per charge and cost around $40,000.

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
Funny I got down-voted for saying they need more power stations. They do clearly. You cannot drive these things E-W, N-S without more stations. Plain and simple. Look at their maps and long haul driving is not possible. Love the car - hate the poor power distribution right now. In a year or two it will be nation-wide (they say), but for now and for my needs the Tesla is a fail (as is all electric vehicles - not speaking of hybrids - pure electric).

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Why pick an Asian run company when Johnson Controls has the capabilities and can keep jobs in the U.S. and pay taxes as a U.S. Company.

izmanq

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
it's a big commitment to battery :| i'm not sure it's ok, what happens if in few year graphene super capacitor is ready :|

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Tesla is a joke. They produce electric vehicles to save the planet.....yet, the batteries eventually have to be disposed of and that in itself is a larger environmental hazard....

f-14

Distinguished
i do not understand the need for batteries, there are capacitors that can store all this power needed and are lighter which will require less power to move a lighter mass than 1 ton battery packs and extremely fast to recharge, just plug in to house fold 120V 20mp, go to the bathroom take that full 30 seconds to wash your hands come back out and unplug ready to go fully charged again.

there's the argument that capacitors don't hold their charge for very long, and yet it's proven that when replacing a car battery with a 6 pack capacitor pack, it will hold more than enough charge after a week of sitting, to start a car a few times easily. and it weighs less than a baseball which is a heck of alot less than the 40# battery

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
i do not understand the need for batteries, there are capacitors that can store all this power needed ..... it will hold more than enough charge after a week of sitting, to start a car a few times easily. and it weighs less than a baseball which is a heck of alot less than the 40# battery
Capacitor have high current discharge but do not have high capacity charge. It won't hold enough energy to run your car radio for an hour for the same amount of size as with liquid cell. That is why you need to recharge it often.

Why pick an Asian run company when Johnson Controls has the capabilities and can keep jobs in the U.S. and pay taxes as a U.S. Company.
Panasonic is one of the company that have good technology of battery. Think LITHIUM VANADIUM.

This is a good news for technology though. we will all benefit from it in the future.

ickibar1234

Reputable
Jul 26, 2014

You are wrong. I see this kind of post on most electric vehicle articles. Don't you know that at the end of the batteries useful life in an electric (or plugin hybrid / hybrid) car, that they can be used to buffer energy at wind farms or other uses in the grid?
Finally when they really don't hold much of a charge at all, they are recycled. Shredded. Over 90% of the material is recyclable I believe, as are traditional lead acid car batteries.

So, you could say all the lead acid batteries being recycled every year from traditional cars are an environmental disaster too? But it isn't.

ickibar1234

Reputable
Jul 26, 2014

A 120 Volt 20 Amp socket can only as much power (energy / heat) as a high wattage hair dryer. It doesn't matter what type of storage medium this energy is going into.
Just like the theory of 5 minute rechargeable laptop batteries. You would need a huge AC adapter to convert all that AC power into DC power and the correct voltage. Not to mention probably a 240V outlet.
With a car, you would need 480V and serious amperage to charge it up in 10 minutes or less.

In the future, anything is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.