Test 5.1 but doesnt play 5.1

rltrahan

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014
Hello, I have an Asus sabertooth Z87 motherboard hooked up to a Denon Avr-1613 with energy take 5.1 speakers everything is new and cant seem to get music , applications or movies to play in 5.1.This motherboard also has the new realtek Alc1150 sound chip which the user interface software seems very limited compared to older alc chips. I have tried both spdif and hdmi connections from motherboard with the same results. It tested fine in properties playing all speakers in 5.1 but apart from testing is 2.1! My confusion is I go to control panel, sound and change the set up to 5.1 surround hit the test button and it produces sound through all of my speakers. With settings applied I exit out and try music and movies with only three speakers playing back sound in 2.1! Again same results with spdif or hdmi. Why do properties show 5.1 and playback a successful test on all speakers but no programs play in 5.1 only 2.1? Can this be resolved with my current system? I would prefer not to have to get a sound card if possible and get motherboard to work with denon avr.

rltrahan

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014
OK, does the nicer sound cards send a signal via spdif that will play through all 5 speakers? If so what cards are best? I would like something that would include mp3 that are 2.1 to begin with?