Test to ensure RAID 1 is working?

slinky

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
I just bought four brand new RAID III drives and 2 ineo USB 3 enclosures that have raid 1 for mirroring. I was wondering how I can test to make sure that the drives are working properly in the raid set up and that mirroring is actually occurring. The only way I can devise is to take each drive out of the enclosure, connect it to an external hub and manually check each drive to see if they are identical. Is there any software that can help me avoid this? On another enclosure I used Steelvine and it seemed to be able to detect both drives and provide some reassurance that things were copacetic.

In addition, what do you guys suggest to test the second set of Hitachi deskstars for errors before putting them into the RAID enclosure? While I've never had problems, I usually have done formatting of these drives prior to use and any problems that arose would be reported, e.g. like many bad sectors.

Thanks for your input. I'm sure others would have similar curiosity about setup with similar hardware!