News Tested: X570 Motherboards Can Overjuice Ryzen, But Rarely Do

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
The test is done with PBO enabled. Since PBO itself is overclocking, users do know that the CPU is being overclocked. However, the forum post claimed that this happens even without clocking done....

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
The test is done with PBO enabled. Since PBO itself is overclocking, users do know that the CPU is being overclocked. However, the forum post claimed that this happens even without clocking done....

Did you read the article? (And not just skim thru a couple of slides?)

Stock tests are there. The two PBO test sets are used to provide a reasonable high-power comparison point, to gauge the "dangerousness" of voltage under-reporting at stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Hooker

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I may have missed them, but are there any results (specifically temperature) for the X570 Godlike or Aorus with stock cooler? I'd be interested to see how the temperatures compare for boards with accurate power reporting vs those that fudge the numbers. If you slap on a 280mm AIO it seems you'll be fine either way, but I think that one area where this could have a real negative impact on users is if you're trying to use a stock cooler but your CPU keeps overheating (because unbeknownst to you your motherboard is cheating and circumventing regular power/TDP).

Reactions: Phaaze88

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
AMD CPUs will dial back frequency and voltage if the temperatures become too high - even before throttling. You'll just get less boost.

That means that with the standard cooler, you'd see less extra power - regardless how low power numbers the motherboard reported.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019

My bad, stock = PB2. Thanks for pointing out to me!!

"AMD said that it was investigating the issue but doesn’t believe the chips will suffer excessive wear during the warranty period."

Now with it written like this it seems that AMD only cares what happens during the warranty period but I don't know about y'all but I can't rebuild my system every year when the CPU goes out of warranty.

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
"AMD said that it was investigating the issue but doesn’t believe the chips will suffer excessive wear during the warranty period."

Now with it written like this it seems that AMD only cares what happens during the warranty period but I don't know about y'all but I can't rebuild my system every year when the CPU goes out of warranty.

I don't know how it's where you live but here all AMD (and Intel) processors come with a 3 year warranty.

I read that statement not as "we don't care what happens after warranty expires", but rather "we're confident the increase in degradation is negligible within the warranty period". The fact that this doesn't dramatically increase failure rates within the warranty period will carry over beyond that.