Question Tester for checking ethernet runs?

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I am wondering if there is a device for checking that my ethernet runs are correctly put together once I'm finished the ends? It sounds like there is something that can check that the keystone snapped down correctly and is working properly. Thanks for any help.

For the mere mortals, one of those CONTINUITY boxes, they just do basic "yes pin X1 connected pin Y1." ~usd$20.

There are, usd$hundreds, usd$thousand boxes what will actually test signal strength, noise etc for the absolutely "time is money" Pros.

I used to manage cablers at work and in my own home, modest 16 runs, I just punched things down with a real spring-loaded tool, following EIA 568B, and before closing up the walls, I placed a PC at the junction and went from room to room with my laptop and ran file transfers, one jack at a time.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Okay, probable dumb question here, but I want to check the run I ran through the walls, so it's not going to have an end that can fit into the first device right? That looks like it would check a patch cable, but I want to check the cable I ran through the walls and it has the same end as the device.

Okay, probable dumb question here, but I want to check the run I ran through the walls, so it's not going to have an end that can fit into the first device right? That looks like it would check a patch cable, but I want to check the cable I ran through the walls and it has the same end as the device.
U maybe overthinking this.

Yes 1 or 2 patch cable will be in the loop but everybody does it that way, patch cables are so short that they are ignored in the equation. You do want to test the RJ45 terminations though for sure.

kanewolf

Titan
Patch cables are cheap enough, that I wouldn't recommend building them. Just buy them from Monoprice at the same time you buy the keystones. Pick your favorite colors and lengths -- https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=11382

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS