[SOLVED] Testing a 3080 with 600W psu

Nov 2, 2021
I just bought a 3080 from ebay and it said it was brand new but I still want to check everything's okay when it arrives, I was planning on doing this by swapping it out for my 1660 super in my current build as I don't have the other components for my new build yet.
My current build has a 550W psu in it and I know that I shouldn't try games or anything like that with it in this configuration, but I just want to load up windows, check it is recognised as a 3080 and then I would swap it back out for the 1660 super until I get the new parts, but I'm still not sure if it is safe to do something like this with such a low wattage psu. Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Solution
Okay thanks, is there anywhere I can check to know which power supplies are good? The one I'm thinking of getting for the new build is a 'Cooler Master MWE Gold V2 850W Modular PSU', do you know if this is a good power supply?
Start here:

D

Deleted member 362816

I'm sure a bunch of self proclaimed power supply experts:rolleyes: will weigh in, but if you don't put a major stress on it. Burn in tests, Benchmarks, gaming etc you will be fine.

Nov 2, 2021
What 550w PSU?
Does it have the actual proper connectors for the 3080?
I misremembered it, it's a 600W psu and it's the 'EVGA 600 BR 600W 80+ Bronze', the 3080 is the the 'Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB VISION V2 OC', it requires 2 8 pin connectors and the psu has one cable with an 6+2 pin which is daisy-chained (I think that's the correct term) to another 6+2 pin.

Nov 2, 2021

USAFRet

Titan
Okay thanks, is there anywhere I can check to know which power supplies are good? The one I'm thinking of getting for the new build is a 'Cooler Master MWE Gold V2 850W Modular PSU', do you know if this is a good power supply?
Start here:

Solution
Nov 2, 2021
Start here:

Ok great, thank you for the help :)

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
This is solid as well.