Testing a new setup - Zoom X5V

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to voip. I just converted to broadband
and got a Zoom x5v router with voip. I've had someone
call in and he could hear me well but I only get
badly broken voice coming in, mostly unintelligible.
Is there some way I can get some system to call me
with pre-recorded message to test out my installation.

Does anyone else in the UK have experience of setting
up this device?

George

George,
you didn't say who provides your VoIP.
If you can call FWD, try echo test on 613, also 612, 615 and 958.
Also worth trying is IPTEL 411, voice activated news etc.
Regards,
Martin
(sipgate & FWD using X-lite)

"Martin²" <never@give.one> wrote in message
> George,
> you didn't say who provides your VoIP.

It comes with an account with globalvillage.com
and the web interface has a button that configures
it using a tftp download but it also allows for
entry of configuration data for other providers.

I've registered accounts with IPTEL, Draytel (for
the free 0870 number) and GossipTel and tried using
x-lite with the Draytel account to call the router
on the global village account. I hadn't heard of
Babble before but seeing it mentioned in the group,
it looks good.

> If you can call FWD, try echo test on 613, also 612, 615 and 958.
> Also worth trying is IPTEL 411, voice activated news etc.

Excellent, just what I need.

> Regards,
> Martin
> (sipgate & FWD using X-lite)

On a point of security, is it a bad idea to
publicise a sip number, for example putting it
in my sig so people can call me? Is there the
equivalent of spam on sip?

best regards
George