Testing components without GPU or Integrated Graphics

IronGecko

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Hi there,
I have all the parts for my build but I'm waiting for my graphics card to arrive in the post tomorrow so today I tried testing the parts that I do have. I installed the CPU, RAM and CPU cooler on my motherboard. Then I connected the 24 pin connector and the CPU connecter from my power supply to my motherboard. I switched on the power supply hoping that the power LED on my motherboard would come on but it didn't. I bridged the power pins on my motherboard with a screwdriver hoping the CPU cooler fan would spin but still nothing happened. Do I need a GPU/Integrated Graphics for this testing method to work given that I only want to see the motherboards power LED come on and to see the CPU cooler fan spinning? Or is my motherboard/power supply dead? I tried using my old power supply (which is definitely not dead) and still no power LED came on and the fan didn't spin. Is my mobo dead...what should I do?

My Build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Freezer 33 eSports ONE (Black/White) CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI - B450M BAZOOKA PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LED 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Storage: Kingston - SSDNow V+200 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Black 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB ROG STRIX Video Card

Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case

Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Solution
You need a graphics card. Testing a system without a required component, whether that is CPU, memory, cooler, graphics, whatever, is a complete waste of time and in some cases might even be detrimental. ALWAYS wait until you have enough hardware for the system to at least be able to boot into the BIOS with, or it's just a senseless endeavor.

Also, it's a good idea to assemble EVERYTHING on the bench and verify that the system will POST before ever installing it in the case, so that you don't do so for nothing if there is a problem requiring you to again remove it all from the case.

You can use some of the information at the following link (Not all of it will apply to pre-installation benching as it was intended for bench...
You need a graphics card. Testing a system without a required component, whether that is CPU, memory, cooler, graphics, whatever, is a complete waste of time and in some cases might even be detrimental. ALWAYS wait until you have enough hardware for the system to at least be able to boot into the BIOS with, or it's just a senseless endeavor.

Also, it's a good idea to assemble EVERYTHING on the bench and verify that the system will POST before ever installing it in the case, so that you don't do so for nothing if there is a problem requiring you to again remove it all from the case.

You can use some of the information at the following link (Not all of it will apply to pre-installation benching as it was intended for bench troubleshooting).

Solution

IronGecko

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

Yeah graphics card came. Connected everything up outside the case and nothing happened. Did a paperclip test on my power supply hoping the power supply fan would spin (had no way of connecting a case fan to power supply directly) but nothing happened. So then I got my brothers power supply and connected everything up to that and everything worked so my power supply is obviously the problem. Could there be something I'm doing wrong with my power supply or is it just dead?

Check to see that the switch on the back of your power supply is turned to the I position, not the 0 position. If it is in the correct position and everything works with another power supply, then it MUST be the power supply OR you are connecting something differently (Or not connecting something) from one unit to the other.