Question Testing Components

Nov 20, 2022
Hi,

I recently won 37 desktops from an auction and my plan is to part them out on eBay. The main components I'm looking to sell are the CPUs, RAM, SSDs, and motherboards. They all have Windows 10 loaded on them, so my plan for testing the CPUs, RAM , and motherboards is to just make sure they load up to the login screen. Is this sufficient? As far as the SSDs, after ensuring each one loads Windows, I plan to use one of the computers to format each SSD, then use a software such as CrystalDiskInfo to make sure they are each in good health. Just wondering if this is good enough for each of these components, or if there is another step I should be taking.

Thanks

For ebay it's enough to clearly state what you tested, you can even list them as untested.

To really test a CPU you would have to run a stress test for some time and see if it stays within safe temps and if the vcore is in a normal range because if it needs too much it means it degraded over time.

For the ssds I would use the app supplied by the manufacturer, do a secure erase and run their test, if it passes that's all, if you are very nice you could list smart info on each disk so that people can see how many hours the ssd was in use and how many sectors are worn out.

You could also accept buyers to send you emails with questions or things they would like you to test, but that is potentially a nightmare.

(Legally you don't have a license to resell windows, just saying. )

Reactions: CountMike
Nov 20, 2022
For ebay it's enough to clearly state what you tested, you can even list them as untested.

To really test a CPU you would have to run a stress test for some time and see if it stays within safe temps and if the vcore is in a normal range because if it needs too much it means it degraded over time.

For the ssds I would use the app supplied by the manufacturer, do a secure erase and run their test, if it passes that's all, if you are very nice you could list smart info on each disk so that people can see how many hours the ssd was in use and how many sectors are worn out.

You could also accept buyers to send you emails with questions or things they would like you to test, but that is potentially a nightmare.

(Legally you don't have a license to resell windows, just saying. )

Thanks Terry! I do plan to format each SSD after verifying the computer boots up.

USAFRet

Titan
To start, create a Linux Live USB.
Get a little familiar with that.

Then, in each system, boot from that USB.
Disregard whatever OS may or may not be on whatever drives are in the system(s).

Do whatever diagnostics you want from within the Linux OS.

Trying to boot from the included drive+OS may give you false results, if it even boots at all.

After you verify a particular system actually boots, then you might consider installing a Windows OS for further testing.

USAFRet

Titan
Also, out of these "37 desktops", be prepared to result in 15 actual usable functioning systems.

mix n match parts until something fully works, then install a bare OS on that.
Maybe to prevent any licensing issues, just install Linux and sell them like that.
Let the new owner work out his own Windows licensing issues.