Question Testing CPU, RAM and GPU

Aceracer21

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2016
GA H170 GAMING 3
I7 6700
2 x 8gb Kingston furry DDR4 2133
R9 280X

My pc started to boot loop after a power outage. I've got a new power supply and have removed and inspected all parts for visual damage. I then breadboarded the system for trouble shooting and I was able to get into the bios for a few boot cycles but it would not post. I now have no beep codes and I can't enter bios, just endless boot loop.

My question:
I want to test my CPU, RAM and GPU in a friends compatible system but don't want to hurt his motherboard.

Any advice welcomed.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Getting into the BIOS is a successful POST... So you'll have to be more clear there. Boot looping on the OS trying to boot? If it isn't staying on and power cycling that is POST failure. Doesn't like something that it tries to power up, which points to something bad.

Remove the GPU first off. See if it works with the integrated graphics. You should also remove your boot drives in case they are the problem.

Remove one stick of memory at a time as well to check them.

Not much advice on testing components in another system. The risk is yours and your friend's to take.

Reactions: Aceracer21

Aceracer21

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2016
Getting into the BIOS is a successful POST... So you'll have to be more clear there. Boot looping on the OS trying to boot? If it isn't staying on and power cycling that is POST failure. Doesn't like something that it tries to power up, which points to something bad.

Remove the GPU first off. See if it works with the integrated graphics. You should also remove your boot drives in case they are the problem.

Remove one stick of memory at a time as well to check them.

Not much advice on testing components in another system. The risk is yours and your friend's to take.

My bad, I didn't state that I have tried everything you suggested as part of general trouble shooting. Sorry for wasting your time.

I was able to enter bios but it would bootloop whilst trying to load the os. Now it just bootloop with no video at all.

I know I have a bad component but it is not clear if it's just the motherboard or something else has died.

Thanks.

Aceracer21

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2016
I'd get it down to the bare minimum (remove everything you don't need to boot up).
I'd also reset the CMOS.
I'd also check all the connections.
If it still boot loops....and you already replaced the PSU....I'd replace the motherboard.

Bought a cheap motherboard and confirmed my CPU, RAM and GPU are OK. So it was a dead motherboard. Buying a new motherboard turned out to be a good solution as it was cheaper than paying someone to test my components. Thanks for your help.