Question Testing Extreme Custom Build

somnulus

Prominent
Jul 23, 2018
Hello all!

So.... to make a long story short, I purchased a 1939 Zenith 7s363 radio to convert it into an extreme custom PC.

Refurbishing the cabinet, it's controls, etc., has been quite a journey, but I am almost finished.

I am trying to do an out-of-case installation of Windows and the driver software. The motherboard is mounted, the cpu is in place w/fan and RAM is installed.

The motherboard is mounted to a piece of hardwood via M4 mounts and screw insets. The wood replaces the panel the radio speaker used to be mounted to.

I'm not worried about the motherboard; but I don't have a mount for the Titan RTX video card I will be using during installation. I have built custom vertical mounts for my two Titan RTXs, but I haven't mounted those to the hardwood panel that will support them inside the radio cabinet yet (ergo trying to do the base install outside of the radio cabinet).

Here is my question.

I have everything set up on a hardwood table; is it okay to just plug in the Titan and lay it flat on the non-fan (solid metal) side for the purposes of this initial software installation and testing?

I know the airflow for the Titan is from the bottom and out the sides; my primary concern is how much heat the Titan will generate on the flat metal side.

I don't want to cause heat damage to the card by accidentally insulating the flat metal side and not allowing it to "breathe".

I also don't want to cause any heat damage to the table, if that is a possibility (it's actually my dining room table, that I built from scratch).

Does anyone have any insight on how hot the flat metal side gets during operation?

I would get a test bench, but I have already sunk so much money into this build between components and refurbishing the radio that I hesitate to purchase yet another thing for it.

Thanks in advance for any advice or assistance!

Lutfij

Titan
It's one of those circumstances where we will need images to corroborate what you're saying. So long as the card is connected to the PCIe slot and the cards soldering points/metal backplate is not in contact with a potentially shorting point on the board(like a metal contact for the front panel or fan headers) then you're fine.

Inf act you can just breadboard the system, for your system fire up.

somnulus

Prominent
Jul 23, 2018
It's one of those circumstances where we will need images to corroborate what you're saying. So long as the card is connected to the PCIe slot and the cards soldering points/metal backplate is not in contact with a potentially shorting point on the board(like a metal contact for the front panel or fan headers) then you're fine.

Inf act you can just breadboard the system, for your system fire up.

Thanks for the feedback, Lutfij... I will get some pictures when I get home later this afternoon and upload them for reference.