[SOLVED] Testing Motherboard?

bigtalon

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
So... Friend of mine got a new case. Took everything from his old case installed into new case.... Computer won't post.

Jump Starting PSU works fine.
Testing PSU in another PC works fine.
Testing RAM in another PC works fine.
"CPU isn't Compatible in my PC so untested"

I'm going to have to assume the motherboard is the issue, but it's weird because nothing happens when engaging the PSU. Not a whir, not a fan, not a nothing. I've had bad motherboards before but fans worked computer just wouldn't post. Is there anyway I can test the motherboard ?!?! Should I take the PSU out of my PC and hook it all up in his would that be the best way to test if it's the motherboard?!?! Can test volts coming from PSU don't have proper tools for that :p

Solution
If swapping your PSU into your friend's PC doesn't help get his rig to start, then the motherboard is most likely the defective part. You have confirmed that his PSU works.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Make sure there are no extra stand-offs (mounting points) between the case and motherboard creating a short condition. Also, inspect the I/O panel (ATX plate) where ports extend through rear of case for anything (like the grounding fingers) protruding into any ports.

bigtalon

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Make sure there are no extra stand-offs (mounting points) between the case and motherboard creating a short condition. Also, inspect the I/O panel (ATX plate) where ports extend through rear of case for anything (like the grounding fingers) protruding into any ports.

Done and Done. Neither causing an issue. I've also tried jump starting on MB prongs to test that power switch was working properly.

bigtalon

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Side Note, This motherboard has no indicator lights, and the case has no speaker for post beeps o_O

I also stripped it down and re-plugged everything from the empty case, still nothing.

bigtalon

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
It appears that something got zapped during the swap. You could try swapping a known good PSU into the rig in question, but I suspect the outcome won't change.

Hooked the PSU upto my PC and worked like a charm. You think clearing CMOS or anything could help, problem is it just doesn't act like it's getting power at all. Even connecting power switch with a screw driver doesn't work lol. So going to have to figure the motherboard isn't working properly at this point.