Question Testing MSI GTX 980 with current PSU

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
I need to test an MSI GTX 980 afterburner graphics card and it is too big to fit into my testing PC. I could probably get it in there by force, but not even going to attempt.

The system I have that it will physically fit in is an old Lenovo Thinkstation S10 I believe with a 650W PSU. Problem is that the amps on 12v1, and 2 are 18a each, and 12v3 is 16a. The PSU states total combined power on 12v 1,2, and 3 not to exceed 475 watts.

I realize that this is not ideal, but before I start doing any transplanting I like to see if just testing in the S10 would be advisable.
Specs:

Lenovo MT- M 6483 -AF3

Q6600 BSEL overclocked, (so to speak)

8gb DDR 3 ram

DVD

And of course the MSI GTX 980.

The PSU is a Delta DPS-650PB A

Thanks in advance for the help/advice.

Delta units are rated for continuous output. and have safety features.
There is no way your computer is going to draw anywhere close to 475 watts.
16a=192 watts motherboard and cpu
18a=216 watts PCIE and SATA
18a=216watts.PCIE and molex
Your video card or CPU does not draw enough power, even overclocked to overload either rail.
So no worries at all.

Reactions: silversmithy

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
I never did get around to trying it out yet but it's all set up to go. This Delta PSU has 2 (6) pin cables which are labeled P11.
My concern is that not too long ago I had a GTX 980ti that I tested in a different system with a more powerful PSU with higher amps on the 12v rails and one of the chips on the GPU caught on fire. I just don't want anything bad to happen.

Anyway, thanks again.

Last edited:
Thankfully this site is well moderated by our moderators and members.
Bad advice is always quickly countered and corrected.
Delta ,although unknown in the retail market makes power supplies for Dell (higher end desktops and workstations), Alienware(Dell now),HP workstations etc...
It is a solid unit with good protection circuits. And the labeling is for OEM production assembly.

Watts and quality are 2 different things.
I have a I5 6600,16gig ram, GTX1070 system running on a 550watt power supply.
It has ran a little over 4 years 24/7/365 running Folding @ Home. That maxes out 2 CPU cores and runs the video card @98-100% load.
The Delta power supply you have is a designed for that type of use.

I understand your reluctance. I lost my world record holding Ti 4200 in a power supply failure.
I now only buy top tier power supplies. Delta is one of them. Their low power units are mid tier but their higher wattage units(475w +) are tier 2 units.

Reactions: silversmithy

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Thank you very much. I am VERY VERY sorry to hear about the 4200!

One more thing . I wanted to make sure that the 2 black (6) pin cables one of which is labeled P11 is specifically for the GPU. I know usually these will have PCI-E on them, but I don't know what else they could be for.

Thanks so much again!!!

Last edited:

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
So I just now tried powering on the PC. After turning the power on the surge protector and right away all the case fans spin at what seems to be full speed, and then the computer restarts doing this approximately 2 more times before I get 4 short beeps, and then if I remember correctly 2 short beeps, followed by 2 sets of 3 short beeps. The PC never actually boots up, and no video. I am using the HDMI connection from the 980 to the TV. I will check again now to confirm the 2nd and 3rd set of beeps, but for sure it starts with 4 short beeps. I also tried powering on without the surge protector and the same thing occurred.

Last edited: