Question Testing my GPU

Jun 28, 2022
Hi question , pretty sure my GPU is causing crashes. It is RTX2080 super. My friend has system with RTX2080.

I don't know alot about GPU drivers. I just know its good to check for updates in Nvidia control panel every few weeks.

Question is can I just put his GPU in my PC and start playing game or 3d Mark to test? Or does each GPU have different drivers I need to download ? or all all Nvidia cards drivers the same from like 1080 to 3080?

NVIDIA uses a unified driver model, but there would be some differences. You'd always be advised to check for the latest driver even if one works, but there is a chance that a previous NVIDIA driver would work on a newer generation of video card. I'd say give it a try, but expect that not all features would be present, and that performance might not be so good if the driver is older.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Nvidia (as said) uses a unified driver model, basically that's the basics, this is a gpu, this is fps, this is shades, this is what needs to go where etc. All the same since the GT 710. Nvidia (now) also works with Microsoft, so those base drivers are included in every single windows update for Win10+. No software, just the drivers.

That said, each class and family of cards is different, there's things an RTX needs that a GTX doesn't, like RT/DLSS support, and there's things that a 3080 can do that a 1660 cannot, so each individual card has its own addendums to the base package. That includes game optimization profiles.

So while you can run any nvidia card just fine without the specialized driver packages, you'll find that performance is very lackluster, the picture on the screen is acceptable, but you'll be missing out on why you spent so much money for the card in the first place. You bought a 2080Super and it's behaving more like a 1060.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi question , pretty sure my GPU is causing crashes. It is RTX2080 super. My friend has system with RTX2080.

I don't know alot about GPU drivers. I just know its good to check for updates in Nvidia control panel every few weeks.

Question is can I just put his GPU in my PC and start playing game or 3d Mark to test? Or does each GPU have different drivers I need to download ? or all all Nvidia cards drivers the same from like 1080 to 3080?
Should work with both cards. I hardly ever check for new drivers for a video card I'm more of a if it's not broke don't try to fix it guy.