[SOLVED] Testing new HDD for potential shipping damage

Dante_XIII

Prominent
Nov 30, 2021
Hi, I recently bought a seagate barracuda ST2000DM008, I just received it yesterday but it was abysmally packaged, it came in a big bubble wrap case with plenty of empty space inside, long story short it's bad packaging, I immediately started testing it using various software including seagate's own software SeaTools, everything was good, results had no errors, and no weird sounds from the HDD,
I ran SMART test on crystaldiskinfo, hdsentinel, MiniTool wizard scratch test, and SeaTools basic tests, all results were OK, Pass, No error/ bad sectors found.
I also checked the warranty and it's valid for 2 years.
Here are the SMART results from crystaldiskinfo, hdsentinel as I don't have much experience in interpreting those results unfortunately.
View: https://imgur.com/8PO9gDg

Are the results normal, or do they indicate a possible drive fail due to mechanical damage?
What other test would you suggest to perform? and what SMART values should I monitor in upcoming weeks to detect a possible fail to RMA the drive?
Thanks for your help.

Solution
Hi, I recently bought a seagate barracuda ST2000DM008, I just received it yesterday but it was abysmally packaged, it came in a big bubble wrap case with plenty of empty space inside, long story short it's bad packaging, I immediately started testing it using various software including seagate's own software SeaTools, everything was good, results had no errors, and no weird sounds from the HDD,
I ran SMART test on crystaldiskinfo, hdsentinel, MiniTool wizard scratch test, and SeaTools basic tests, all results were OK, Pass, No error/ bad sectors found.
Here are the SMART results from crystaldiskinfo, hdsentinel as I don't have much experience in interpreting those results...
Here are the SMART results from crystaldiskinfo, hdsentinel as I don't have much experience in interpreting those results unfortunately.
View: https://imgur.com/8PO9gDg

Are the results normal, or do they indicate a possible drive fail due to mechanical damage?
What other test would you suggest to perform? and what SMART values should I monitor in upcoming weeks to detect a possible fail to RMA the drive?
Thanks for your help.
The error reports you showed look fine.
When the heads are in the parked position and platters are not spinning the hdd can take quite a bit of banging around without a problem.
Use the hdd and monitor with cdi see if any flags come up.

Reactions: Dante_XIII
Solution

Dante_XIII

Prominent
Nov 30, 2021
The error reports you showed look fine.
When the heads are in the parked position and platters are not spinning the hdd can take quite a bit of banging around without a problem.
Use the hdd and monitor with cdi see if any flags come up.
Thank you so much for your help!