[SOLVED] Testing PSU before using it

thefxgamingrules

Reputable
Jun 19, 2018
So, I ordered a CX550 online, I've received it and since it hasn't been tested before, I'd like to make sure it won't go kaput for me like the 5% who plugged it in without checking, and a faulty unit took the entire system with it.

Is there any way I can ensure that it won't turn into a fireball? I found out something called the paperclip test; is it a way to ensure safety?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
So, I ordered a CX550 online, I've received it and since it hasn't been tested before, I'd like to make sure it won't go kaput for me like the 5% who plugged it in without checking, and a faulty unit took the entire system with it.

5% of users plug in their PSU without testing it first and destroyed their systems?

And the PSU has been tested before. It was burned in for 8 hours at the factory.

Lutfij

Titan
No, there's no way to check a PSU's power output without plugging it in to specialized equipment. You might find people tell you to use the paper clip test or a PSU tester, that doesn't ensure how much power the PSU can effectively output.

In retrospect, if you're sure your PSU is capable of outputting the necessary power to your system and yet have headroom, then you shouldn't be worried.

On second thoughts, what are your build's specs?

Reactions: thefxgamingrules

thefxgamingrules

Reputable
Jun 19, 2018
No, there's no way to check a PSU's power output without plugging it in to specialized equipment. You might find people tell you to use the paper clip test or a PSU tester, that doesn't ensure how much power the PSU can effectively output.

In retrospect, if you're sure your PSU is capable of outputting the necessary power to your system and yet have headroom, then you shouldn't be worried.

On second thoughts, what are your build's specs?
Here-
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/canudont/saved/#view=yk4Dqs

The "paperclip test" is only useful to confirm a dead power supply.
It says nothing about proper operation.
There are some other simple testers that read power output of a psu, but again, they do not test for proper operation.

Your parts list are not very power hungry so there is no chance of overloading the psu.
Go ahead and use it.

5% of users plug in their PSU without testing it first and destroyed their systems?

And the PSU has been tested before. It was burned in for 8 hours at the factory.

Solution