[SOLVED] Testing unreliable disk ?

bfu2018

Commendable
Dec 18, 2018
Hello, I bought a cheap mechanical disk drive from Toshiba for external box. The disk doesn't expose any errors like bad sectors, SMART alerts or file system damage, but happens randomly the data read don't match the data been written. Sometimes it's for freshly written data as soon as the OS cache is flushed and sometimes it's for old data. By my estimation the data loss concerns about 1-2% of files. Is it happening due to faulty internal cache chips,, faulty electronics or poor plates?
I have performed more basic tests like surface test and chkdsk /f, that disclosed nothing, but still happens. Is there a tool that would diagnose this problem for me and give a resolution? Trying HD Sentinel now but nothing bad found with that drive so far.

Hello, I bought a cheap mechanical disk drive from Toshiba for external box. The disk doesn't expose any errors like bad sectors, SMART alerts or file system damage, but happens randomly the data read don't match the data been written. Sometimes it's for freshly written data as soon as the OS cache is flushed and sometimes it's for old data. By my estimation the data loss concerns about 1-2% of files. Is it happening due to faulty internal cache chips,, faulty electronics or poor plates?
I have performed more basic tests like surface test and chkdsk /f, that disclosed nothing, but still happens. Is there a tool that would diagnose this problem for me and give a resolution? Trying HD Sentinel now but nothing bad found with that drive so far.
Show a link to this hdd and a link for the ext box.