Testing used cpu and gpu what do I need?

Oct 1, 2018
First time building a pc and want to buy cpu gpu and ram used. I want to be able to test these compents to make sure they work. What will I need to do this. For example I need a psu and motherboard first, but can I plug the empty motherboard into a monitor, then can I plug just the gpu into the board to make sure it works. Same with ram and cpu can I test these compents on the motherboard without anything else? This would be so I could test the compents to make sure they work so that if they are broken I can send the back or get a refund before the time ends. Thanks

Solution
You need the full set to test them.
RAM, motherboard, CPU, GPU, PSU, monitor, software to test with...

If this is your very first PC build, I question the viability of buying used parts. Yes, it can be cheaper. But if you don't know what you're looking for or how to test, you may be spending extra money and a LOT of extra time doing this.

USAFRet

Titan
You need the full set to test them.
RAM, motherboard, CPU, GPU, PSU, monitor, software to test with...

If this is your very first PC build, I question the viability of buying used parts. Yes, it can be cheaper. But if you don't know what you're looking for or how to test, you may be spending extra money and a LOT of extra time doing this.

Solution
It would be most unusual for a cpu to be bad.

If you are buying a used motherboard, there can be problems with bent cpu socket pins that are hard to diagnose.

Graphics cards on the other hand can be a problem.
You would want to test it under a heavy graphics load where problems will show up.

Essentially, you need to complete the build virtually to completion.