Texs looks less bold in my laser print compared to my older inkjet one - is that normal?

Galinho13

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014
Hi, guys! I've been noticing something "different" in my new laser printer and I decided to seek for some help.
The thing is: recently I've bought a laser printer, model Brother HL1212W, to replace my old HP Deskjet 3636 (ink-jet) printer.
However, after a few tests, I noticed something: In the laser unit, the texts (I mostly print articles and college assignments) looks less bold and way more "sharp" than the inkjet one.
I was wondering if this is normal - I mean, it's just as my texts, in the laser one, is thinner, you know? It's quite hard to explain, but I can post some pictures in order to exemplify.
Anyways, sorry for my (eventually) bad grammar, since I'm not a native english speaker.
Thanks in advance!

Solution
different animals I'm afraid. different toner, different parts.
at this point its like comparing two different branded LCD displays, even though the resolution and the size is the same some things look better on display A and others on display B.
it could be an eco setting in the drivers, or any of a myriad other things. it could also be differing papers, some are better for lasers than others.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
it has to do with the differing way the toners are laid out.
inkjet is sprayed, like paint, and like paint the farther from the nozzle the wider the spray spread.
in a laser a laser magnetizes a roller, no spreading in a laser at all at those distances, the toner is magnetic and attracted to the newly magnetized portions of the roller through the paper, the toner is then melted into the paper via a heater. at no point in this process does the toner spread, the melting is fast and the ink does not soak in and bleed like an inkjet does. the result is a tighter sharper text with a slightly less bold bold than an inkjet.

inkjet - sprayed and left to dry. during drying the ink bleeds into the paper making the text appear wider
Laser- plastic particles melted into the paper, no bleeding, no spreading, precise.

Galinho13

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014

Really appreciate you answer, dude!
Please, allow me to make one more question.
Is it possible to notice some difference in “sharpness/brightness” between two different printers? I’m not sure why, but it looks like my Work’s printer (HP P1102w) looks less bold/more bright and a little bit sharper than my recently purchased one (Brother HL-1212w). Although my printouts looks pretty nice, it’s just not as neat/sharp as the one I observe in my workers printer.
Thank you for your patience!

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
different animals I'm afraid. different toner, different parts.
at this point its like comparing two different branded LCD displays, even though the resolution and the size is the same some things look better on display A and others on display B.
it could be an eco setting in the drivers, or any of a myriad other things. it could also be differing papers, some are better for lasers than others.

Solution