[SOLVED] Texture loss while playing games

Oct 6, 2020
Hi, I have a problem with texture loss while playing games, especially Grand Theft Auto V. There was absolutely no problem at all but the game started suffering from texture loss while playing about a week ago, no mods were added or removed. Interestingly the game doesn't crash but I end up lost in an invisible world with no texture at all except for passing by vehicles.

my PC Hardware info

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9500F CPU @ 3.00 GHz
16GB Ram
GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
Windows 10 64 bit, x64 based processor

Please note that I'm a noob in computers and this is my first post in this website. I registered as a user about 5 minutes ago lol

Also note: Other games that I play include X-Plane 11 and Euro Truck Simulator 2 which runs just fine with MAX graphics.

Solution
Hi, I have a problem with texture loss while playing games, especially Grand Theft Auto V. There was absolutely no problem at all but the game started suffering from texture loss while playing about a week ago, no mods were added or removed. Interestingly the game doesn't crash but I end up lost in an invisible world with no texture at all except for passing by vehicles.

my PC Hardware info

16GB Ram
GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER

Please note that I'm a noob in computers and this is my first post in this website. I registered as a user about 5 minutes ago lol

Also note: Other games that I play include X-Plane 11 and Euro Truck Simulator 2 which runs just...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED

my PC Hardware info

16GB Ram
GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER

Also note: Other games that I play include X-Plane 11 and Euro Truck Simulator 2 which runs just fine with MAX graphics.

Hi @tesla318

1st off, a warm welcome to the forums!

The 1660S is a great GPU and so should have 0 issues running GTA4. Your PC in general pretty much follows suit.

If all of your other games otherwise run fine, I would hazard a guess it's to do with GTA4 itself and not your PC in general. I know it's a somewhat hefty game size wise, but have you tried uninstalling it and then reinstalling it? Often (but not always) the simplest approach is the easiest & fastest.

Have you tried updating your 1660S drivers? Look here.

Is the game on an SSD or HDD? Is the drive full?

What are your temps? Do you have good airflow inside your PC's case? Do you have any fan control software installed for your 1660S? Such as MSI Afterburner or Precision X1? (both work with all video cards and not just MSI or EVGA) The 1660 series are known to run HOT.

Here is an interesting read in regards to missing textures and GTA4.

Let us know how it goes and again, Welcome to Tom's. :)

Solution
Oct 6, 2020
Hi @tesla318

1st off, a warm welcome to the forums!

The 1660S is a great GPU and so should have 0 issues running GTA4. Your PC in general pretty much follows suit.

If all of your other games otherwise run fine, I would hazard a guess it's to do with GTA4 itself and not your PC in general. I know it's a somewhat hefty game size wise, but have you tried uninstalling it and then reinstalling it? Often (but not always) the simplest approach is the easiest & fastest.

Have you tried updating your 1660S drivers? Look here.

Is the game on an SSD or HDD? Is the drive full?

What are your temps? Do you have good airflow inside your PC's case? Do you have any fan control software installed for your 1660S? Such as MSI Afterburner or Precision X1? (both work with all video cards and not just MSI or EVGA) The 1660 series are known to run HOT.

Here is an interesting read in regards to missing textures and GTA4.

Let us know how it goes and again, Welcome to Tom's. :)

JESUS, thank you for such a warm and welcoming reply with loads of helpful advice. I didn't even expect such a nice reply from a community with a LOT of members. I'll be coming to this community a lot, thanks to you^^

While reading your kind reply I noticed you were giving instructions for GTA 4. I'm having trouble with GTA 5 lol.

I always keep my whole system up to date including the NVDIA drivers.

I don't know if it is SSD or HDD but I'm sure that the game is installed on :C(is it SSD then? I don't know lol.......). The drive is not full and :C has 130GB space left, and D has nearly 600GB space left.

I do not have a fan control software, I thought NVDIA drivers will adjust the fan automatically. Is the fan controller important for gaming?

And yes, I actually deleted and re-downloaded the game TWICE before due to other problems, and redownloading didn't help after I reinstalled all the mods that I used. However they strangely took care of themselves and disappeared when I didn't play GTA 5 for about 2 months lmao

Once again thank you so much for the kind reply.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
While reading your kind reply I noticed you were giving instructions for GTA 4. I'm having trouble with GTA 5 lol.

I do not have a fan control software, I thought NVDIA drivers will adjust the fan automatically. Is the fan controller important for gaming?

omg... GTAV LOL! Just ignore me and my fail... :)

As for the fan control software, yes, very important as it'll help lower your 1660's overall temps, which as I'm sure you know, is a good thing since heat is the bane of electronics. Not saying that it will fix your texture issues, but lowering the temps is a good thing.

Lets start over.

Have you tried lowering the in game visuals & dropping it down to 1080p. Set all graphics to low and then work your way up. Are there any set places in game where the textures begin to disappear? Can you get the problem to act up on a regular basis or is it random?

Look here and here.

Have you tried an older driver? Some driver updates may make one game work great but then break another.