Texture pop ins, lag and stutter in GTA V on a 1060 GB

n1prodromidis

Prominent
Jan 23, 2019
This issue started around 4 months ago. Back then I had a 960 with my build and after an update the game started having insane pop ins where whole areas wouldn't render, and the performance was also noticeably worse. I Upgraded to a 1060 6GB a month ago and the problem still exists. Changing from normal to ultra or changing the direct x version doesn't fix the rendering problem or the lag. I've uninstalled my drivers lots of times and I even re-downloaded gta v again + verified it on steam just in case but nothing happened. Every other game runs perfectly fine, except for gta v. It sucks bcause ive had the game for 3 years and I was always able to maintain 60+fps on high even with a weaker GPU, before the issues started appearing.

Specs:
i5 4460 3.2GHz
8GB DDR3 1886MHz
MSI gaming X gtx 1060 6GB
win 10
some pictures: https://imgur.com/a/yMZG5vu

Check Graphics>Distance Scaling, and make sure it's set to max. Go to Advanced Graphics and set Extended Distance Scaling to whatever your system can handle without lag. You'll want to keep res at no more than 1080p on that spec.

Note that on my 8700k, 1080, 16GB RAM spec I noticed performance is noticeably better with Vsync off. I was going to reduce it to 1440p DSR from 4k, but without Vsync I can run it on 4K without lag in some spots like I was getting before, and I have Extended Distance scaling set to max, including shadows.

If you still have lag, check for Malware and system file corruption, as well as startup clutter (turn them off one at a time).

Malwarebytes (can use free version as long as you want) https://www.malwarebytes.com/premium/

DISM.exe & sfc /scannow (read instructions) https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

n1prodromidis

Prominent
Jan 23, 2019

Unfortunately, nothing helped. Do you think formatting windows would resolve the issue?

Probably not if you ran the DISM.exe and sfc /scannow properly, as that would have restored a healthy image for the OS and checked for and repaired any system file corruption.

Make sure you have adequate page file and try disabling startups one at t time. Most startups are not necessary and only take up RAM without needing to. I would also check voltage stability to make sure your PSU is OK.

It sounds to me like you may just be putting some of the settings too high for a 1060 though.

n1prodromidis

Prominent
Jan 23, 2019

My only startup applications are Steam and the Logitech App for my g502 dpi settings.

After running prime95 for about half an hour these are the voltage results.:
+12V= Minimum: 12.232V / Maximum: 12.320V
+5V= Minimum: 5.080V / Maximum: 5.120V
Im not an expert but AFAIK those are perfectly fine

That is unfortunately not the case. As I stated in my main post, changing it from the lowest to the highest settings and vice versa doesn't fix the rendering/stutter issues. This issue is solely GTA V related for some reason. The division 2 private beta ran perfectly fine on my rig on 60+ fps on high even with a rather weak CPU for today's standars

However a weak CPU can and often does cause stutter. Have you ever tried checking to see how severe a bottleneck you have by running MSI Afterburner while playing with GPU and CPU usage set to show onscreen while playing?

Typically if the CPU is consistently at 90-100% usage while the GPU is no more than 60% or so, it causes the GPU to have to wait for the CPU to calculate more rendering data, which can also delay that data being rendered onscreen, hence the stuttering.

Note, make SURE you're actually playing the game when you check usage, as often times the in game bench will not require as much CPU. If anything you should play parts of the game that stutter the most.

TRENDING THREADS