Question Textures darken when moving in game?

S7ewie

Honorable
Nov 13, 2014
I bought a new monitor yesterday (Gigabyte G27QC). Its not a hugely high end monitor but I paid a lot of money for my last one and it only lasted a few years so I'm reluctant to spent a lot on a monitor these days. That being said, it still wasn't cheap so I do expect a quality product.

Anyway, I plugged it in and fired up and RPG and immediately noticed a really frustrating effect where textures seem to darken as I move the camera around, and blacks seems to "blur". From what I can gather, this is known as black smearing and happens when the darker colours have poorer response times? According to the manufacturer, this monitor has a 1ms response time which I now assume is either complete BS or that's the brightest and best colours and not the darker colures? On closer inspection, its 1ms (MPRT) and not Grey to Grey so I presume that's not as good?

I can't seem to find anything in the settings that fixes this so I presume its either a faulty unit or this isn't a great model. To that end I'm thinking about returning it. Are there any VA monitors in the same price range that don't suffer with bas black smearing? or is it just a big side effect of VA monitors? My last was an IPS. On comparison, this definitely has a better contrast ratio, but I can't live with this smearing. My previous IPS was also plagued with problems and that cost twice as much so I'm not really sure where to go from here :/

I've also had about 4 crash to blue screens over the past 24 hours since getting this monitor. I cant see how a monitor would be causing it but it seems a bit too much of a coincidence considering I haven't had one for months.

Lutfij

Titan
This is a good read. On that note, how is the panel hooked up to your system and what is the make and model of your GPU? What was your prior monitor's make and model? You might want to see if using DDU, uninstalling your GPU drivers and then reinstalling with the latest in an elevated command resolves the issue. Speaking of issue, what OS version are you currently on and what games are you taxing the system with?