Textures Pop-in, is it normal?

Mostafa Mohammad

Honorable
May 5, 2015
So i got a new PC two weeks ago and everything is fine but sometimes while playing open world games like The Witcher 3, i see that grass, buildings, and NPCs appear slowly while approaching them or pop-in. It happens too in Fortnite when i jump off the bus.

The Witcher 3 is running at Ultra with everything on except for Nvidia Hairworks, V-sync and Ambient Occlusion is SSAO
Fortnite is running on Ultra too except for V-sync and Motion blur, so i doubt it's related to the settings.

Specs:
RX 580 8GB
i5-8400
750W PSU
8GB RAM
WD Blue 500 HDD 7200 RPM (2010)

Solution
With open-world titles, pop-in is almost inevitable - you're only really rendering what's in your FoV at any given time.
You shouldn't experience close up pop-in though, should mostly be off in the distance, once something comes into your FoV.

Witcher 3 was notorious for it at launch, regardless of the card you use.

An SSD can (sometimes) be beneficial - but ultimately, the pop-in would still occur, only faster. Same with a RAM drive, faster than an SSD, but still there.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
With open-world titles, pop-in is almost inevitable - you're only really rendering what's in your FoV at any given time.
You shouldn't experience close up pop-in though, should mostly be off in the distance, once something comes into your FoV.

Witcher 3 was notorious for it at launch, regardless of the card you use.

An SSD can (sometimes) be beneficial - but ultimately, the pop-in would still occur, only faster. Same with a RAM drive, faster than an SSD, but still there.

Solution

Mostafa Mohammad

Honorable
May 5, 2015

It's just kinda ruin my experience, but no, as far as i can see, it happens only from a distance.
So my GPU is fine?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Pushing max settings on Witcher3 can be demanding - and an Rx580 is only really "mid range", so it might just be a little much.
BUT, the pop-in aspect is not solely down to your GPU - it's an issue with the nature of the game/game itself.

Try turning down settings a little, see what happens? But I can't imagine it's going to 'fix' it,.

Mostafa Mohammad

Honorable
May 5, 2015

I mean the GPU is more than enough for such game, as it has 8GB of vram plus it's more than the recommended specs (GTX 770) where Game Debate says that the RX 580 is more powerful by 66%
But anyway, should i be worried? or accept the fact that pop-in will exist in most of the games?

Mostafa Mohammad

Honorable
May 5, 2015

Tried. Nope, no difference.
It usually happens when i leave Roach on the other end of a river.
At some point, it just disappear.
So i guess it's a normal thing, since the distance isn't small.

I'll try using mods to eliminate it.