obssc

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Hi,
First post here and looking for some PS expertise.
Have a strange situation on a test system I plan on using as a PCI device burn in unit. Trying to go as inexpensively as possible.
So, I decided on a ITX chassis with a TFX (200W) PS. THE MB I planned on using was an Intel Celeron (Soldered down 1.20GHz, 512 MB cache, 1MB RAM) based Mini ITX.
I build up the system and it does not boot up. No beep, no POST, nothing.
I then unhooked the TFX supply, and tried an ATX (510 watt) supply and it worked perfectly. Then I tried an SFX (150 watt) supply and it worked perfectly. From that test, I think I can deduce that it is a TFX supply issue with that particular MB.
Is the lack of a -5V rail a problem? Supposedly, the SFX supply has no -5V rail either.
Also, all voltages check out correctly with a voltmeter.
Confusing to say the least.
Thanks,
OBSSC

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Can you post the exact MB (Make and model...ect).
Can you also do the same for your psu.

The only difference there should be between a TFX and SFX and ATX power supply is the dimensions.

Is it possible the TFX power supply isn't pumping out enough amps? At first thought i'd say you could have a bad psu unless knowing more about the exact psu your talking about.

obssc

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Thanks Kubes.

MB is Intel D201GLY2.

Power supply is Winsis 200W TFX
+3.3 +5 +12 -12 +5sb
10A 11A 8A .5A 2A

Thanks.
OBSSC

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Is it possible that you missed the aux 12+ volt rail (4 pin right next to the 24 pin connector)?

Do you also have a fan of some sort you can plug into the board to see if anything at all fires up?

I'm wondering if this could possibly be a bad psu.

obssc

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
No, everything is connected properly.

We connected this PS to a D945GCLF (ATOM processor), and a D945GC (P4), and it worked perfectly.

We have connected a fan and it runs....power is getting to the bus.

??

Thanks kubes.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
sorry for the slow response back,

This is a common symptom of the aux 12+ volt rail (4 pin connector) not beling plugged in. But like you said it was connected. I'd double check the voltage coming out of this rail again using your volt meter. I hate to be the bringer of bad news but I think its the psu at this point.

Here is another link of some common, "My comp won't post" and solutions. Maybe there is something i'm missing and this might lead you down the right path.
New build won't post checklist

obssc

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009

Thanks Kubes.
We had checked the voltages with a voltmeter and they were good.
We are on the second PS at this point. Another from a different manufacturer is coming next week....doubt it will do any good, but you never know.
I have the case/ps manufacturer looking into it, but you know haw that goes.
Thanks again.
OBSSC