Thalmic Labs Myo Armband Interview And Hands-On

Status
Not open for further replies.

FritzNelson

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013
I also tested this at CES a little. The smart home stuff is nice, it's easy enough (only 5 gestures if I recall). My question for others: can you see yourself wearing this around, whether to play a game or interact with things in your house?

Depends on final pricing and how open it is to program for. A few months ago I may have said no. Then I got an MS Band. The Band hasn't drastically changed my life, but it does have some nice features that I now use regularly. It's easy enough to wear and it doesn't often get in the way. If this isn't too obtrusive to wear and if it can be easily integrated into your home, then it will be useful. This could be adapted to other apps, say like the 3D Rudder board. Could this benefit 3D modeling or video editing software? I think so.

Imagine controlling movies and media a la Minority Report ( though I suppose XB1 can already do this a little via Kinect. ) Commands like play, pause, stop, fast forward, rewind, channel/volume up, and channel/volume down would translate very well to motion I think.

I'm not fully certain about games, though. If you're pulling a hand off the keyboard or mouse, then you have to replace that with at least as many controls as you lost, and do so with precision. How many distinct commands and motions can this thing do, and do well?

I think something like this will ultimately become something like an Orbweaver ( or the MS Strategic Commander if you're really old. ) They may take a little investment to make worth your while, and they may take an introductory period to get used to using them. However, once that happens, it becomes difficult to do the task without it.

cypeq

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
it's very interesting I'm afraid that device may not see any success as the specialized devices are both tremendously cheaper(presentation pilot) and more precise and with much more range (drone control)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS