Thank You, Bill Gates!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

hehe ... now that he's out Balmer can finally bring down MS.. that guy is going to ruin everything ...

and Gates wasn't the great pioneer people claim him to be ... he's just a shrewed hardcore businessman... and if we take into account everything they've done him and his company probably did more bad than good in its entire history, by monopolizing every software market that they went into.. progress is based on creativity and monopolies usually crush that.

two thumbs up to the guy for playing the game dough .. and respect for giving some of that money to people that really need it.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
farzanfaz, there's no point in reinventing the wheel. MS just did everything better than the original guy who doesn't have the follow through to bring it to the messes.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
A genius and philanthropist! The most brilliant move MS and Bill made (IMHO) was to combine the best of NT and the best of Windows 98 into XP. Another fond memory I have is when I first used Word 2.0 in 1990, after the DOS based Word Perfect. No more memorizing complicated key combos! The GUI based interface was born.

I am now using FireFox 3.0. But heck, they can't win 'em all.

thomasxstewart

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
In Government Service, Losers Leave at age 52. Its end of Professional recruitment, So after 52 they have NO Further Rights to Training. Today recruitment has been Extended to 55, yet Hon Sir William probably made agreement when 52 was Standard. Here Full Final Week Interview:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#25408564 Starts out "....One time retired...". One Time meaning Monday will be last 20% of WEEK BY WEEK Hon Sir Williams Time there. Then 0 contact.PERMANENT & FOREVER.
Another key question by Tom Brokaw: Been to Microsoft many Times & Meet Intresting People, Yet everytime I return, those people are NO Longer at Microsoft... gates skids obvious question of whats going on & starts raving about Hardware. Work for Microsoft, Become Slave in World Telcom Technician trade? Heck of Way to end up around people whom speak mubo jumbo & expect code writers to dig into Sewer Pits, as they got their Own?

Signed:pHYSICIAN THOMAS STEWART VON DRASHEK M.D.

asdasd123123

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Haha, Linus Torvalds?
He may have made a kernel for a os that is gaining some popularity right now, but install any linux distribution and tell me that's user friendly.

You can't even install a web browser without needing to use the command prompt, even now, in 2008!

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
[citation][nom]asdasd123123[/nom]You can't even install a web browser without needing to use the command prompt, even now, in 2008![/citation]I suggest you try Kubuntu.

gbwatson96

Jun 29, 2008
Well, I cannot say that I am happy or sad about Bill leaving M$. M$ has done some really cool things and has also stolen a lot of good ideas from others. I can honestly say that I am disappointed in the direction M$ has been headed in the last year or so. The idea of getting a computer in every home is commendable. The ambition to get a computer that everyone can use and that works properly would be more worthwhile. Vista and the whole Windows XP charade is very disappointing. XP was a good OS that worked great. Previous to SP3, it was fairly predictable and easy to work with. Vista isn't so nice. With the plethora of problems I have had, I am not even impressed. It looks nice-that is about it. What is really disappointing about M$ is the fact that an independent company like Mozilla can make a better web browser (and if it gets damaged by spyware you can uninstall it and reinstall it-unlike IE7 in Vista). Sad. Mozilla Thunderbird actually works unlike Outlook Express (with all it's problems that never seem to end). I just think a company that has all the money in the world could make software that works without being so problematic. Apple may get more of the market share with M$ 7, if it continues to contain technology that the average computer will never use (like the touch screen that just cost more money). In an economy that is struggling so bad right now, why did M$ make such a resource hog like Vista? The idea just wasn't well thought through. Many people cannot afford to pay $1000 to buy a computer that will run Vista properly. Bad marketing tactics led to lawsuits. That does not build M$ integrity with it's customers. It tells me that they are willing to play games with their customers and risk getting sued to make more money-not to make a more usable software that everyone can use. I am currently a PC computer tech that is trying to find a way to be able to by a Mac and learn how to repair them. They could become more of our future with the current path M$ is following.....
Bill Gates leaving may not be a good thing for the PC industry in the end, but may end up opening competition for more OS options that people can really use and that work correctly.

kelfen

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
Very Hard to find some one who is humble and has lots of money. He is certianly a good husband. I am very happy :) thier will be way too many good things to say about him in the future he changed.

bgd73

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
great read. It is not all that difficult to grasp a face and a world changing company. I know of an independent trucker who drove 3,500,000 miles, 90% time loaded with an average of many tons each trip. He's not a billionare. never will be. pays out the wazoo to the gov't more than I have eraned my whole life, in one year of his taxes. No charities. He even had to forget his own kids sometimes. There is an offset of wealth and good and evil. I write this from windows xp...

Blonde Guy

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
I wish Bill well. It isn't in this article, but the going away party spent quite a bit of time talking about OS/2. Bill spent more time on OS/2 than any other project while he was at Microsoft.

Windows XP was originally called Microsoft OS/2 version 3.0 or Cairo, and was due out in 1993. Most of the big executives spent a lot of time on the OS/2 projects. That's behind them now, but that is what they remember about their careers at Microsoft.

reikalusikka

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
[citation][nom]asdasd123123[/nom]Haha, Linus Torvalds?He may have made a kernel for a os that is gaining some popularity right now, but install any linux distribution and tell me that's user friendly.You can't even install a web browser without needing to use the command prompt, even now, in 2008![/citation]

You can but it's way more efficient, faster and easier with terminal.
Besides for example ubuntu is way more user friendly than any windows.

It's really sad that the majority of people using computers are like you, only used windows their whole lives and bash other os's without even trying them.

Besides, Firefox and other basic programs are pre installed on ubuntu and not like on windows where you need to use few hours to find and install every software you need.

HAHA

Ps. Bill Gates should have retired 30 years ago.

G

Keep up the good work in your fight against malaria. It's amazing that one man can save so many lives.

G

I, too, want to say thank you to Bill Gates from my heart. If it wasn't Bill, Linux wouldn't be developed so quickly on desktop in terms of desktop features such as multimedia and gaming capability without losing server reliability and performance and I really enjoy it now; if it wasn't Bill, I would have been to tty and ssh hell to do all my jobs during 1995 til now (when I first got my Win 3.1 running, I had 80286 in 1992 but it was running IBM DOS) and I would have become a geek for 10 years already; if it wasn't Bill, I would have been using my lovely Athlon 700 by now (because of Linux low hardware requirement) and saved me up to $7000 so I could have been using it to run my own small business.

Thank you so much.

G

Well Bill Gates is a backstabbing cockbite and even though we live in a world of backstabing cockbit I have to admit Bill Gates has done a lot of good...or has he? I live in washington about a half hour away from redmond (microsoft HQ) im not sure if hes dones this to other schools outside washington but Bill Gates Donated around 100 decent comps to my school one year then 200 then next then another 100. It is cool that he is donating software and comps for schools but really wasnt it just a marketing gimic? before we had the PCs we had MACs (The colored IMACs) I grew up on macs, all the schools ive ever been too up until about 4 years ago had macs then bill gates, out of the goodness of his heart donates thousands of PCs and Windows to schools? Now every school around the area has PCs. My community college has around 30 lab rooms with around 30 PCs in each and like 2 labs with macs when it was the other way around 5 years ago. com on it was just a way to get kids use to PCs so that when they buy there own comp it will most likely be a pc. Macs have always been the better product especailly nowadays (the fastest laptop running vista was a mac in bootcamp) you just have to spend a little more but you get what you pay for. YA I KNOW YOU CANT UPGRADE THEM...my tangerine imac served me fine up until about 3 years ago when my processor didnt cut it anymore and I built my own PC because I wanted to play games but thats all PCs are good for. constantly updating drivers, crashes, blue screens of death, hardware failures...or you could buy a mac..even for games now too. MicroSoft is circling the drain the only thing I think keeping them from hitting rock bottom is xbox live and the 360. Windows vista was flop then they tried Windows Live where you pay for a online gaming service that most games give you for free anyways, then theres the xbox live market place and all the contriversy of microsoft charging people to download content that developers wanted to release for free, then they lost bungie (Which use to make games for macs, And Halo 1 was orignally gonna be a MAC only title) All and all microsoft has spread themselves to thin..they cant make any relvoutionary software anymore just medicore software...they already became the General Motors of software...same product different look...unhappy with ur buick lesaber might I suggest the ford tarus then... or you could look at it this way PCs parts are all different..they dont work together 100% due to manufacturing and programing and windows kinda like a universal on size fits all software if doesnt know exactly the hardware you have but it has a good idea and will make them work just not 100% of what it could do if it was designed to make certain specific components work in this specific manner like a mac...dont get me wrong i like my PC because I can play any game I want but if macs become more affordable The age of the random component pc is gone

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Cheers to Bill Gates! Congratulations and thanks for all your great contributions. I always thought Windows was the perfect operating system: It did a lot of things correctly, but had just enough bugs to make it interesting. :)

spiralsun1

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
I like Bill Gates. I'm mad he tried to force us to buy Vista by releasing Halo 2 only on that platform, but hey -- he has to make a buck, right? He is certainly good at that. I don't really care about that.

What I do care about is him dumping all the money we paid him into Africa! We should be OUTRAGED that he is sending all the money from all the intelligent and tech-savvy people here down dark holes all over the Earth. Why isn't he doing something that could make a REAL difference in the world -- like fund genetic or eugenic programs and research? He could drastically enhance the future of us all in very long-term ways instead of just wasting money on bandaid measures. Eugenics is the greatest charity -- one that will keep on giving for thousands of years and change the Earth forever.

MINDS drive us all forward -- great minds. We need more of them. Bill, above most other people on the Earth had the chance to do something real and different and he is wasting the money on here-and-now crap without investing in the future where it counts. We need people who can think to cure cancer and every other ill on Earth.

We need to stop persecuting people showing genetic and psychological differences between the people ofthe Earth -- like Bruce Lahn @ the University of Chicago. He did research showing differences between us and africans in key brain genes thought to be involved in writing and the advent of modern city-states, and also a gene involved in symbolic abstract thought -- exactly those things that we see blacks scoring much lower on in tests and also having trouble with in Africa and countries such as Haiti in this hemisphere. Dr. Lahn was forced to apologize for doing this AMAZING research! He deserves a Nobel Prize, instead he was forced to apologize in the face of the Politically-correct inquisition.

Bill could change all that and save the world from sinking into long-term violence and destruction. THAT is where we need charity. He needs more imagination and forward-thinking along with all that cash. It is sad to see him cowed by those same destructive and hypocrtitical PC-forces that sent grain over to Africa and never taught them to farm -- leading to even greater disasters.

All I am saying is Bill, please don't crash the WORLD!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.