Thanks guys - Now I got a new problem

Bames_Jond

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
I got Windows 2000 working (atleasty i think so). So thank you all for the good help and advice. Now I got a new problem. My shared internet connection with a Windows 98 computer. I previously ran Windows 98 on my computer where the internet connection sharing worked fine. We got a cable modem with an uplink called Stofanet. I can get the connection to function in Internet Explorer and Kazaa and so on. The download speed is fine running at between 100-150 KB. pr. second. Upload also works fine. The problem appears when I log onto blizzards battle.net. I can log on and play games in Diablo 2 but not in StarCraft, which is still the game I play the most. When I log on battle.net with StarCraft I can chat with people, view the available games list, change chatrooms and so on. When I try to join a game, even if it is one my friend in the same area, created I get the message "The Latency to the gamecreator is too high". This is really frustrating since i used to play StarCraft on battle.net 6-10 hours weekly.
Remember my computer is running Windows 2000 and the computer that is connected to the modem is runnning Windows 98. The two computers is connected via a crossed cable (No hub or switch). The two computers is both fitted with a 100 Mbit NIC.

<== StarCraft is not just another computer game!!! ==>

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Try this solution, maybe it will help. Install DCOM98 on your Windows 98 system. You can download, Distributed Component Object Model (DCOM)from:

http://www.microsoft.com/com/dcom/dcom98/dcom1_3.asp

DCOM enables you to execute parts of your program on other machinces. Since Win2k has a much better COM it can communicate most excellently between other Win2k/NT systems, but Win98 requires DCOM of which it must be installed separately in order to bridge the gap between Win2k and Win98. Just maybe it will help your situation, but it sure won't hurt to give it a shot. Let know how it works out.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

Bames_Jond

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Thanks for the tip, i'll try it as soon as I get home.
If anyone else got some hot tips on this subject please let me know!

Bames_Jond

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Hmmm I tried installing the file on the Windows 98 system which carried the Cable modem and it did not help my StarCraft latency problem. I have seen some improvement in download rates about 10-20 KB pr. sec. Nice! :) I contacted Blizzard Tech Support through Battle.net and they told me they knew about the problem and was currently working on it. I hope they were telling the truth cause i really miss StarCraft battle.net gaming. :)