thanks to everyone

Jerums

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2001
Well, i would just like to thank this community for the quality help that i received from it. I just finished putting together my first computer, with minor setbacks, and would like to thank everyone who helped me along the way. You guys are great, and i really appreciate your help.

my final system specs:
1.4tb
k7s5a
512 pc2100 from crucial
IBM Deskstar 60GXP 40gb
Visiontek GF3
Creative labs audigy xgamer
klipshe 4.1 speakers
ltd 163 DVD
NEC fe950+bk monitor

any questions about any of this stuff let me know, i'll be glad to start helping instead of being the one needing the help ;)

thanks again

thanks again

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
that k7s5a is a KT266A chipset based board isnt it? hope so.
cpu good
hard drive good
graphics card... if u can find one a gainward geforce3... they are the tops for overclocking.

no cd burner? u can get a 12x or 16x with burn proof for highly affordable prices now.

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

G

Nope, the ECS k7s5a uses the SiS735 chipset. Just ordered one yesterday. It is unbelievable "inexpensive." I dare not use "cheap", it has been getting great reviews, and great benchmarks!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It uses the SEPERIOR SiS 735 chipset (I say Superior because I have never seen a VIA chipset the did not have at least one SEVERE problem in certain standard configurations).

Back to you Tom...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
ahhhh
good good good

just making sure that Mr initial poster didnt have some inferior chipset (ali magik or KT266)

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, ALi Magik is OK, it's not problematic and is only slightly slower than the 761/686B, which is only slightly slower than the SiS, which is only slightly slower than the KT266A which I won't be buying.

Back to you Tom...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
ahhhh
good good good

just making sure that Mr initial poster didnt have some inferior chipset (ali magik or KT266)

just wondering if the KT266A is trouble free

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
<pre><ne0> Woah, deja vu...
<tr1n1ty> What did you just say?
<ne0> Nothing, just deja vu...
<tr1n1ty> What did you see?
<ne0> A post appeared on THG...and then another post just like it.
<tr1n1ty> How much like it? Was it the same post?
<ne0> I'm not sure...maybe...what is it?
<tr1n1ty> Deja vu is usually a glitch in the server; it happens when the hard drive has a firsthand encounter with a liquid lunch.
<ne0> Oh, ok...speaking of which...if a server crashes in a server farm and no one hears it, does it still cost four figures to fix?
<tr1n1ty> Let's put it this way. You need a server; the tech contractor needs a new boat.
<ne0> Damn, I kinda figured that. Say, shouldn't we be running from sentient AI beings or something?
<tr1n1ty> I don't know. Did somebody leave their Reaper bot running?
</pre><p>
Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
heh... my sisters fiance has an ali magic mobo (a7?266 - that dual ram one from asus)

had nothing but trouble trouble trouble from it
has issues copying anyhting/loading anything.
but it could just be a bad board *shrug*

personally i dont mind the kt266a, so long as it proves to be bug free...

time will tell i guess

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
indeed
unless the temp monitor is mounted in the socket or chip die itself its bound to be unreliable... varying distance from the die can have a big effect, especially if there is airflow behind the chip.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
10-15% is not slightly slower especially when all you changed was the mobo chipset crash. I do however respect your stability first motto.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's roughly 5% (2%-8% depending on the benchmark) slower than the 761/686B boards which have become a standard for benchmarking. So it's roughly 10% slower than the SiS 735 chipset.

Back to you Tom...

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
And nearly 20% slower than the kt266a. That is a BIG number in computer performance crash.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~