That'll teach you to contact support!

stevelasvegas

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2007
My support request to Abit.

I asked: When I click 'turn off' in WinXP Pro and it turns off, then it clicks a couple of
times and restarts all by itself. Didn't used to do that.
Fatal1ty AA8XE motherboard.

They answered:
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thanks for your incoming mail.

Here we provide some suggestions for you to test your PC basically. Here you might be need to take time to test for it.

Hardware incompatible test:
1.Please get the motherboard out of the chassis, dismantle everything, put the mother board on a nonconducting platform, leave only the CPU, one RAM module, VGA card, one Hard Disk and Power on the motherboard. This step is to prevent the short circuit.

2.Reset the CMOS data by moving the jumper from 1-2 to 2-3 for several seconds then put it back to normal position 1-2. After that press Del button to get in the BIOS and load "Load Optimized Default" for running the OS

3.If use the minimal devices and the issue would come out anymore. Please try to plug back the devices one by one. Check for which one cause this happen.

Software issue test:
1.Re-install the OS. Make a clean installation without any other software.

Have a nice day

Holly Smokes! Can't I just click something?

stevelasvegas

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2007
How about capturing some history and diagnostic information that might be helpful in making a diagnosis with a possible 'less destructive' remedy. I'd hate to be a patient of a doctor whose answer to a hangnail is to amputate the foot.

leo2kp

Distinguished
You can probably get away with not removing the board from the case, but doing the other things is pretty much standard troubleshooting. Windows might be issuing a reboot command vs a shutdown command (not sure how or why), but a reinstall would fix that too.

Also, there aren't many diagnostics you can do to determine the reason for this other than determining if it's hardware or software related. You have to use the process of elimination to figure it out, which IS the 'diagnostic information' you're looking for. Sorry to break it to ya ;) Good luck with that!

bumster

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
Personally I would try booting to another OS first to see if it is your installation or not. Try either creating a BartPE disk or maybe even better a Linux live CD such as Ubuntu, Knoppix or Slax. With these you will be able to boot to the OS on a CD and try a shutdown to see if it shuts off and stays off. If it does the same thing then you will need to narrow it down to hardware by removing hardware piece by piece. This problem can also be caused by the power supply. You may even want to try running it from the CD without the hard drive attached.

BartPE = http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Ubuntu = http://www.ubuntu.com/

Slax = http://www.slax.org/

Knoppix = http://www.knoppix.org/

Good luck!

stevelasvegas

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2007
Good idea bumster! I booted into Ubuntu Live CD and did a 'shut down'. The computer acted the same as when I shut down in Windows. It shuts down, then in about 15 seconds the computer tries to start up 2x and on the 3rd attempt, it boots.
I guess I'll look at hardware and bios settings (allthogh to my knowledge nothing has changed).
Here I go!

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Reset CMOS as per the manual, but don't rule out the PS as causing it. After CMOS reset see if you can borrow a PS and test it. If it's not the PS then RMA the mobo. One other thing, boot up and then carefully pull the case power button leads off and then shut down to rule out faulty switch. Also, extremely unlikely but it's possible there is a short on the leads that tell the PS to boot.

HYST3R

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
first you need to determine if its hardware os the OS. boot onto a live cd and test to see if its the software. if it shuts down and stays off then its your OS. if it does the same thing in linux then its a hardware problem.

but if you have a windows cd, running a repair from that will probably fix your shutdown problem. also you should do a scan for viruses/spyware using some programs like AVG and Spybot just to rule that out of the equation.

you said that it clicks a couple of times before it restarts, is that clicking coming from the speakers or inside the PC. if its coming from the speakers its most likely a problem with your OS.

good luck.

stevelasvegas

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2007
HYST3R, booting into Linux produces the same result. I use religiously Nod32 AV, Ad-Aware, Spybot, and Windows Defender, plus I am behind a router and I use a software firewall. The clicking is as though I was plugging and un-plugging the power cord. I can watch the motherboard boot process LED display come on go of come on, etc 3 times and then goes through the booting process. So, the clicking sound is the power being delivered to the motherboard sound (hard drive, relays, etc), not the speakers. The way I finally get the computer turned off is to wait until it turns off for the 1st time (after Windows shuts down) and then I flip the power supply switch from on to off and wait a few seconds before turning the switch back on; then the computer stays off.

casemods

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006

:lol: rofl dude!

That would be funny to put on a computer.

ddaw735

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
My laptop did that and it turns out my computer was a zombie computer and would always restart it self. Reinstalled windows and it went away.