[SOLVED] The 1080p vs 1440p Debacle

bravodown

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2012
I feel stuck and cannot make a decision.
I primarily play fast paced competitive style games (fps, moba). I value high fps above other attributes in a monitor.
I currently have VG248QE (tn panel, 1080p, 1ms gtg, 144hz). This monitor is awesome, especially considering its been out since 2013, but I'm looking for a second. I built a new pc dec 2019 and acquired an RTX 3070 a few months back.

I can't decide between getting another 1080p, specifically the VG279QM (IPS, 1080p, 280hz, 1ms gtg, gsync, elmb, etc). After doing some reading and research on modern monitors, this one stands out for the 1080p. I'm looking at the Samsun Odyssey G7 or G5 for 1440k, butI'm not set on any one monitor orbrand so I'm open to any suggestions.

I know that 1440k is basically 'the sweet spot' for the RTX 3070, but I still have reservations about the drop in FPS for the competitive style fast paced games that I play. Is it worth the FPS loss for better resolution and image quality?

A lot of people I've talked to are more casual gamers or more into single player games so image quality and color quality is higher value to them than FPS whereas, as stated above, I prefer FPS above other qualities.

For those who play these style of games and have made the jump from 1080 to 1440, what have your experiences been? What are your opinions on the matter? My current thinking is that since I still love my VG248QE in 1080, I will still have this as an option, so I'm kind of leaning more towards going 1440 (i can always return it i suppose). But then I'll read another article about how 1080p is still the best way to go for the style of games I play. I keep going back and forth and just cannot decide. HELP! lol

Solution
Would this simulation be somewhat representative of what I would experience on a true 1440k monitor?
My suggestion was -
going into Nvidia driver settings and enabling DSR option.
DSR 1.78X option will expose 2560x1440 resolution to all games (and windows desktop too).
Run your game at this resolution ant it will show you, how it will run on 1440p native screen.

It's possible, warzone does exactly that without manually exposing 1440p resolution in driver settings.
Not sure. Haven't played it.

bravodown

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2012
You can use DSR option in Nvidia drivers to simulate game running at higher resolution, than monitor supports.
Test and compare, how it runs at 1080p and 1440p.
Idk if this would be the same, but warzone naturally reduces my render resolution from 100% (1080p) down to 66 basically every time i load the game (only this game does this). So everytime i load the game I check this setting and correct it. One day it auto changed my render resolution to 175%. I noticed the game looked super crisp and nice. And even though i was getting 80-90fps, the game just felt choppy compared to 100% resolution which would get me around 140-150 fps. Because the image looked so much better, I thought I'd play around with the DLSS optoins and set it to quality. THis is what I run the game on now as the image looks better and with DLSS on, im getting around 160-200 fps - so better image and higher fps thanks to DLSS.
My concern with this though is the choppiness it gave, even though it said 80-90 fps. with DLSS on there was no more choppiness. I'm not sure if this was due to the fact i was running higher res than my native 1080p (warzone has 2 options - display res with is always 1080 and render res which is now set to 175% of normal) and perhaps a native 1440k monitor would not experience this choppiness (80-90 fps shouldnt be choppy). I don't mind using the dlss but not all games have this option either. But I can say that definitively, the image looks really nice at the higher render res.
Would this simulation be somewhat representative of what I would experience on a true 1440k monitor?
thanks

My suggestion was -
going into Nvidia driver settings and enabling DSR option.
DSR 1.78X option will expose 2560x1440 resolution to all games (and windows desktop too).
Run your game at this resolution ant it will show you, how it will run on 1440p native screen.

It's possible, warzone does exactly that without manually exposing 1440p resolution in driver settings.
Not sure. Haven't played it.

Solution