The 2012 MacBook Pro With Retina Display Is Now 'Vintage'

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuhndj67

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017
I have one I bought around 2014 (with every option you could get)... it's still very useful. Processing wise it's no screamer but it's ssd was crazy fast for its time (over 1GB/s) and is still very respectable, resulting in a fairly responsive machine for most tasks (even working with 4k video). I didn't see any compelling reason to upgrade to the new MBP - IMO their upgrades amounted to gimmicks other than a bit more resolution... Still don't see a reason, if they don't come out with a MBP with REAL upgrades I'll likely just go 100% windows after my current MBP dies. I also have a loaded Dell M3800 and have the same problem in the windows world... it's 4 years old now and last year I "upgraded" to a new ZBook Studio only to find out it was no faster and not as user friendly (and with an inferior display) - so that machine went to someone else on my team and I stuck with the older Dell. Seems like laptop performance has been pretty stagnant for the last 5 years.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
If you want to learn about the actual quality of the boards inside Apple's laptop products, check out Louis Rossmann's board repair videos. I was, to say the least, rather surprised, especially given how much these products cost.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Hon** Hai Precision Industries.
Apple, Dell, etc. It's all perceived differences. Do you like the box it comes in better? Do you like the OS better? Aside from that - you get the same or similar components. Proc, memory, gpu, etc.

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
It's OK, the 2014 version is about to become obsolete in late 2019. The one that ended up being a massive investment was the non-retina PRO 2012, which was I think retired in 2015, so if you bought it in 2012 you got a whopping 7 years of it being supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.