Question The 24 pin to 8 pin adapter for dell Motherboard optiplex 9020 sff

Stackimaginable

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
From looking at the Dell specs page, the system has an 8-pin, 4-pin and 6-pin power connector. I assume this is for the motherboard power, CPU power, and graphics card power (if it has one) respectively.

To use the adapter linked you'll need to make sure you get a fully-modular power supply, as any other will likely have the 24-pin wired directly into the PSU.

Other than that, it looks like that adapter should indeed work, it appears to be rated to handle enough wattage and it says it is for your system, so the only way to know for sure will be to try it.

Reactions: Jeodavid
Jan 24, 2020
My original psu only have the 8pin for dell motherboard and 4 pin for cpu and it's only a 255w psu compact weird size.
So like a said before I'm putting a full size psu outside off the case with a gpu beside.

The problem it's I can't find any information about this adapter, if works only with the full size 9020 I think it's call tower or works with more versions off the 9020 like the on I have the sff.

I just don't wonna fry my MB. :/

Remeca

Reputable
Yes, it will work. The 8 pin Dell power is the same on all the optiplex machines that use it. I bought that exact one for my 9020mt too, build quality was good. Just make sure all the pins are fully inserted into the plastic plug before plugging it in.

Reactions: Jeodavid

Remeca

Reputable
From looking at the Dell specs page, the system has an 8-pin, 4-pin and 6-pin power connector. I assume this is for the motherboard power, CPU power, and graphics card power (if it has one) respectively.
The 6 pin comes from the motherboard and is an auxiliary sata daisy chain. These PSUs don't come with 6 pin pcie.

To use the adapter linked you'll need to make sure you get a fully-modular power supply, as any other will likely have the 24-pin wired directly into the PSU.
No he won't. The adapter plugs into the 24 pin coming from the PSU, modular or not.

Reactions: Stackimaginable
Jan 24, 2020
Yes, it will work. The 8 pin Dell power is the same on all the optiplex machines that use it. I bought that exact one for my 9020mt too, build quality was good. Just make sure all the pins are fully inserted into the plastic plug before plugging it in.

I ordered that one, should arrive today.

Jan 24, 2020
I'm gonna try the adapter and the psu on my motherboard tonight.

I'll give you guys a feedback.

I don't know if you guys are interested but I can post some pics after I'm all done ;)

Thanks for al the help

Reactions: Remeca

Remeca

Reputable
Yeah, post away. You can check out my 9020 here:

I'm curious to see what GPU you can fit in the sff if you don't give a flip about putting it all back together.

Jan 24, 2020
Hi guys,

Sorry I was kinda busy this last days and took me a while to figure out who to upload the pics.

So, let's have a look what I have done.

1- I started to remove the original PSU.

2- I "installed"(I just run the wires and connect them to the Motherboard) the new PSU. (If anyone it's looking to this answer, no in the SFF model/version a regular size PSU don't fit.

75KmDaB.jpg

2.1- At the same time, in the power cables from the PSU, you have a 8 pin connector that can be turn in 2x 4 pin connector that I connect to the 4pin connector beside the CPU.

6a4VdPe.jpg

2.2- the 24pin connector to 8pin dell Motherboard connector works perfectly! Just plug'n go. (but I forgot to take a Pic.)

3- I installed a Riser Extender - PCIE 90° angle.

1SDhdAb.jpg

i30DZ6g.jpg

4- move the desktop back to the entertainment center.
(The main reason I want the SFF version is he need to fit the desktop on that small spot you guys see on the picture and I don't care about the Gpu and the Psu outside cause it's hidden.)

lM955Zq.jpg

5- put some double sided tape on the Riser Extender 90° side and install GPU.

QiYuUYk.jpg

6- make sure everything works fine and install the new drivers.

VlPXvTj.jpg

So I know it's a long post but I hope all this info would help someone in the future, there is not a lot information about the Dell Sff PSU's upgrades online.

P.S. sorry for my English, isn't my first language.

Jan 24, 2020
What are you using to keep the gpu vertical like that--also, don't you think it will fall over?

Nice Ikea entertainment center too--that's the same one I have at home. :)

I'm using this:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B073XV1P16/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's pretty stable. You really have to push hard to make it fall and if I need to remove the Riser Extender 90° to work on inside the desktop the 3M Hanging strips just click in end out.

Yes, the IKEA entertainment center it's just enough for what I need ;)