The 30 Year History of AMD Graphics, In Pictures (Archive)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

realistically, watts don't matter on gpus, at least on the pc.
damn near no one uses more than one gpu, and so long as all your hardware is new, you don't need more than a 550 for any configuration you want
per watt, yea, nvidia really hit it out of the park with maxwell, all credit to them there.

as for nvidia sitting on their butts, they knew vulcan, they knew dx12, and they still don't fully support async compute, they have a half step at best. nvidia not fully supporting the new apis and actively preforming worse in them compared to 11 is going to REALLY bite them. If vega is double what a 480 is, thats it for everything on their product line under a titan and possibly 1080ti, as crossfire 480's matched a 1080 and that was with losing about 13% of the performance, if they don't rop starve the thing that's another 5-15% on top of that too, if it's just doubled. It should also be close to matching a 1080 in dx11 too, but at that time, enough dx12 games should be out to make dx11 not really a focal point of benchmark.

as for nvidia not having a high end competition, fury line in many dx12 gives nvidia a run for its money, and price performance the fury is the number one card now as it can be had for around 250$. If I honestly didn't need more than 4gb of ram and some hardware decode I would have gotten it. But as I'm not building a new pc till zen comes out (be it intel or amd) Im held back by my cpu so much I can stand waiting for price drops and new hardware while useing my 280x

Status
Not open for further replies.