The 4GB Ram 32-Bit OS Question for XP Home

lazy_Mofo

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
I understand that Even if someone has 4GB or more on a 32bit OS that you are likely to see around 3.5GB or less.

I am running XP Home.
I have 2 Sticks of 2GB of RAM (Total 4GB)
I have a 1GB G-Card.
XP Shows that I have 3GB of memory.

My questions are:
1. Even though XP only shows 3GB, is any part of my system at all using that last 1GB?

2. If it is the answer is yes then: What is using my final 1GB of RAM?

3. If the answer is no then: In thoery if I had 3x1GB sticks of RAM, would my system be running at roughly the same speed as it is now?

I have an HD4670 with 1GB of Ram, I understand this is an overkill for my card as apparently it won't use the full 1GB.

4. Can I allocate my system to use less of this RAM and more of my Normal RAM?

5. If this answer is yes, what advantages or disadvantages would this bring?

Thanks, just a few questions I cannot locate any answers for on here or Google =)

lazy_Mofo

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
The person who made my computer wrote this, hes asian so his english isnt the best:

We suggest to put in another 2G which will support dual channel.
But your computer will only show up 2.87Gb(if intall 4G memory) cause Xp 32bit got 4G memory limitation. I will acitve the physical address extention for you to store the memory which can't be readed by xp, it can still be used by the system.

Also he pointed out to me something written on this forum:

If you install a Windows operating system, and if more than 3GB memory is required for your system, then the below conditions must be met:

1. A memory controller which supports memory swap functionality is used. The latest chipsets like Intel 975X, 955X, Nvidia NF4 SLI Intel Edition, Nvidia NF4 SLI X16, AMD K8 and newer architectures can support the memory swap function.

See this would lead me to beileve the system is still using the unshown RAM no?

tcsenter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
He forgot to include #2 (there must be a #2, otherwise there is no point in beginning a list with #1). In addition to the hardware/chipset requirements listed, you must use an OS that supports MORE THAN 4GB via 36-bit PAE or 64-bit.

32-bit Windows OS that support 36-bit PAE are enterprise and datacenter editions of Microsoft server SKUs. Client/desktop versions of 32-bit Windows OS do NOT support 36-bit PAE.

TRENDING THREADS