The 590 GTX Centered System.

Garthilk

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
This year I'd like to pick up a 590 GTX in the next 60 days. But I've got to build a system around it and I have no real knowledge about today's systems, etc.

Approximate Purchase Date: Before Christmas
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Games, Surfing Internet, Ripping BluRays
Parts Not Required: Hard Drives, I've got a 40g SSD Intel X25 and a 2TB Green Caviar.
Preferred Website for Parts: Wherever is cheapest.
Country of Origin: USA
Parts Preferences: Matching, I'd like to keep to one or two brands.
Overclocking: No
SLI or Crossfire: Yes
Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050 and 1920x1080

Note, I'm only asking about Motherboard, CPU, RAM and power supply. What would folks suggest to put with an initial 590 GTX with the idea of adding a second one in the near future? In a perfect world I'm trying to get a 590 GTX along with the least expensive componenets to run it well, even if it's an oxymoron.

The gtx 590 is a massively powerful graphics card that is far more powerful than anyone reasonably needs to run a 1080p monitor , and far more than anyone needs to run on the 1680 x 1050 resolution .

And in 2 months any advice you are given today will be worthless . New hardware will be available , and prices will have changed

Garthilk

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
In terms of motherboard and CPU and ram, any specifics?

Also, what amazing new hardware will be released in the next 60 days?

AdrianPerry

Distinguished

BullDozer and 7xxx series GPU's are due before the year is up.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
-Need a mobo to fit x2 gtx 590. I suggest Asus P67
-PSU- u need the Corsair AX1200 Gold. Needed for quad SLI
-8GB Ram corsair or Ripjaws 1600hz CL8-9 (1.5v works best with sandybridge)
-CPU i5 2500k or i7 2600k (gaming performance is about the same on both. get i7 if alot of video editing)

GTX 590 is a amazing card BTW. I would go with the EVGA. It has a lifetime warranty that even covers overclocking :eek: , and comes slightly factory overclocked already for better performance.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Also u are going to want to overclock your CPU in the future. When u get 2 gtx 590 (which is quad sli) your CPU will bottleneck(slow down) your systems performance. For CPU cooler get the CM Hyper 212 for $25. Overclocking can be complicated, the Asus P67 has auto overclock program built into the motherboard. It calculates it all on its own with a click of a button. Its easy and works great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vBN-cBPs98