The 990FX Chipset Arrives: AMD And SLI Rise Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

nice to see support for both videocard producers. especialy for nvidia. now you can do amd+nvidia not only amd+ati(amd)

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Tom's, what the hell is this? "At the end of the day, it's the graphics cards which are the bottleneck."
Did you go about benchmarking graphics cards, or was this a motherboard/cpu comparison? I'm tired of hearing this excuse all the time. We know you have a pair of 6990s and 590s in your shop. Get rid of that stupid bottleneck and DO IT RIGHT!

Thanks for the review, but at lower resolutions we all know that the CPU differences will become clear. So you just proved that if a game is taxing on the GPUs, both solutions are equal and when the graphics card ain't being taxed, CPU differences become apparent... Ok, thanks for proving what we already know once more (not being sarcastic here >_

Uhm... that last comment of mine was cut in half with the missing char of that face... I guess that's an escape char; oh well.

What is missing said something like:

...here "face"), but you said you wanted to test AMD's SLI on their 990FX vs Intel's SLI. So, IMO, you need less graphics horse power: like 2 GTS250's or 2 GTX460's or 2 GTX560's (not ti's) to tax the graphics subsystem and really show the differences. Maybe up the resolution also to really show if there is a difference between AMD's or Intel's SLI.

Thanks again for the Article, Mr Chris.

Cheers!

G

Useless test without Bulldozers. We already know Phenoms suck against SB. Hopefully Zambezi will be able to compete with SB in games, otherwise I'm ditching them, after 6 years of AMD CPUs in my rig.

Sud099

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
We all know that SB CPU >> Phenom 2 series.Then how one can compare performance of two platforms while the Sb CPU performance is superior to Phenom2 series...

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]Tom's, what the hell is this? "At the end of the day, it's the graphics cards which are the bottleneck." Did you go about benchmarking graphics cards, or was this a motherboard/cpu comparison? I'm tired of hearing this excuse all the time. We know you have a pair of 6990s and 590s in your shop. Get rid of that stupid bottleneck and DO IT RIGHT![/citation]

I'm quite satisfied with this review. Nobody in their right mind is going to have dual 6990's or 590's and use a phenom II x4 or a i5 2400.

Although the point you made is absolutely correct, it wouldn't be a very logical review.

Disappointing. I can clearly see the value of features like Virtu and SRT on the Z68 platform, but the 990FX doesn't offer anything comparable. Well, I've waited this long, another few weeks won't kill me to see if Fusion makes a difference...
...Except that July is the month I expect the parasites' efforts to destroy the value of the dollar will start coming to their fruition.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]Tom's, what the hell is this? "At the end of the day, it's the graphics cards which are the bottleneck." Did you go about benchmarking graphics cards, or was this a motherboard/cpu comparison? I'm tired of hearing this excuse all the time. We know you have a pair of 6990s and 590s in your shop. Get rid of that stupid bottleneck and DO IT RIGHT![/citation]

I don't consider that doing it right. Nobody in their right mind buys an AMD CPU for $180 bucks and then pairs it with two $700 graphics cards. GTX 570s is a realistic choice.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Does it really use the same silicon as the 890FX? In that case, what took them so long?!? The whole point of backwards compatibility is lost if you launch on the eve of a new CPU release.

I was actually just about to buy a 890FX board + Phenom II X4, last year, with plans to upgrade to bulldozer in late 2011. But then came the announcements of incompatibilities and the he-said/she-said rumors of possible compatibility and I just decided to play it safe and wait.

Well, AMD lost my business, on this one. They could have at least sold me a Phenom X4. While I've been waiting, I've even been looking at the Sandy Bridge Xeons, which also support ECC and are more competitively-priced than previous generations.

Nice going, guys.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
i beg to differ. how can 2 gtx570s be a bottleneck in a real world situation? it's not like the world would suddenly turn upside down if they used a 580 instead.

and no that's not what everybody wants at least with this 990fx "Preview".

hopefully chris would do a follow up on this article once the dozers comes out.

G

This is wrong! It should be about 990FX not i5/980. I wanted to know how 990FXA does against 890FXA, not i5 vs Phenom II. That we already know. And why did you include only gaming benchmark? You were afraid that intel might look bad in multimedia benchmarks. Intel a**-kissers!

Where are the triple monitor tests? With 2X 570's and such top end systems why? About half the games show Intel wins but loses more ground at higher resolutions. What occurs at the triple monitor high end? If I payed this amount to build these systems better believe I would be using 3 monitor setup.

G

What a useless article-full of flamebait.Untill AMD announces a delayed launch,you should consider all of this speculation as just that.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]copilus[/nom]This is wrong! It should be about 990FX not i5/980. I wanted to know how 990FXA does against 890FXA, not i5 vs Phenom II. That we already know. And why did you include only gaming benchmark? You were afraid that intel might look bad in multimedia benchmarks. Intel a**-kissers![/citation]

Here's the story you were asking for in one line: According to AMD, 990FX is the same glass as 890FX; so, there is literally no difference.

Thanks for reading!
Chris

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]oldwiseman[/nom]What a useless article-full of flamebait.Untill AMD announces a delayed launch,you should consider all of this speculation as just that.[/citation]

Nothing here is speculation--Asus launched its Sabertooth 990FX today, and it should be available soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.