The AMD FX-8320/8350 vs Intel i5-4460/4960K Showdown

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xvantok

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
So I am planning my new build and have run a cheeky wee £110 over budget on a £450 build so as you can imagine I am trying to find ways to shave off as much money as possible.
My planned setup is this:
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/NVwKxr

So, looking at the most expensive parts (GPU & CPU) I am Looking for ways to go for a cheaper CPUs without losing too much processing ability.
I have narrowed it down to the AMD FX-8350, AMD FX-8320, Intel i5-4460 and the i5 4690k. The i5-4690k is my ideal choice as it blows away the competition in both gaming and productivity which brings me onto what I would be using this build for:
-Gaming
(Skyrim, BF4, Garrys Mod, TF2, and yes, minecraft)
-Design
(2D & 3D Work using mainly autodesk inventor for the 3D work and AutoCAD for the 2D work)
-Animation
(both 2D & 3D work using mainly Auytodesk Maya/blender for the 3D work and some other
unknown software for 2D work)
-Content Creation
(Video rendering and editing)

I know for productivity the AMD cores win by about 20% but I know for gaming the i5s win by about 50% (at stock speeds) so it leaves me stuck as to what to do and what processer to go with.

I am also aware that my motherbard is not ideal so I am aware I need to look into that and I reckon I can get about £10-15 off there and I am aware my GPU is crazy expensive for my build and so I am debating whether to cut down on that to about an £130-140 GPU in which case I could go with the i5-4960K.

Please help me with what I should do at this point as I feel it could swing the usefulness of my build depending on what I do at this stage and I am not looking to waste £500 on something that doesn't do what I need it to do.
Cheers for the help.

Solution
Hello :

- Gaming : i5 wins
- AutoCAD : i5 wins for the single threaded power
- Blender, maya : FX wins by number of cores
- Video editing : FX wins by far

So you have to fix your priorities before choosing your CPU, because :
- For K CPU : Z97 mobo
- If K or AMD CPU, you should take an aftermarket cooler
- For AutoCAD, you need a Quadro
- For Blender, you need a GTX for Cycles

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador

Not entirely true, if you compair the FPS over say 50 titles you will find that FX chips fit between I3's and I5's

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Rough figures...
Cpu + OC =150w
Mobo + accessories =100w
Gpu =200w

You do not need a 750w psu, a decent 500-550 will be just fine and still have plenty of headroom. Ideally you want to max out a pc at no more than 80% of a psu capability, and thats running programs such as occt with linpack etc which drive a cpu @110% + ram @90% or kombuster which will drive a gpu @105-125%. Normal usage with any of your listed programs will see a 500w psu @70% which is ideal. Not to mention a bunch cheaper cost while maintaining quality.

xvantok

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
What about this
I reveised my build and now I am here, however I am not sure about my case/mobo yet so some help would be apreciated:
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/g34mRB - Build one
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/NVwKxr - Build two

What do ya think I prefer build one as its cheaper and has better parts however I am unsure of the case (NZXT Source 210 Black) and my Mother Board
Board two was what I was working on when I made this thread however I relise its pretty shambolic and expensive.

Sig2525

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014

that xeon looks perfect for your video rendering / editing and it will most likely do the job for gaming.

DubbleClick

Admirable
The second one doesn't make sense at all. Getting a k cpu with a h board = senseless. Either get a z97 board (taking you to more expense than the xeon) or step down to an i5 4460/4590 with the b85 board. And then it comes down to what is more important to you, gaming or video editing. The xeon would do much better in video editing, the 280x build better in gaming.

xvantok

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
I have spent a lot of time doing a bit more research and am beginning to feel comfortable with my build so, without further ado, here it is:
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/R4R6P6
What do you think of the graphics card?
Also do you think the motherboard will be able to cut the mustard as they say or do think there are better ones in the same price point (£40 - ~£60) (mATX/ATX)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
R9 280x = 600w psu, can use a tier1 or 2a 550w psu.
R9 280 = 550w psu, can use tier 1 or 2a 500w psu.
Gtx 760 = 500w psu, performs almost to the 280x level in most games, ties in some and exceeds in a few, but main thought should be Cuda, for blender work, etc which will exceed handily both AMD gpus.

AHBman

Reputable
Oct 30, 2014
I think that you should wait the GTX 960, which you can use it for CUDA acceleration with Blender and some Adobe softs, and obviously for gaming :D (The GTW 960 will be slightly better than the GTX 770)
I think that is the best solution for you