The AMD Kaveri processors

AniAM

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014
Are there any important/big diffrences of the performance between these two~ A10- 7700K and A8-7600? If yes,please let me know.

AnEwG

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
1. The A8 has a locked multiplier the A10 doesn't, you may or maynot be able to overclock using BLCK, if you are not overclocking it is irrelevant.
2. Graphical performance of both chips is identical, and their CPU performance as well considering a mere 100 MHz difference in their base frequencies.
3. The A10 is less energy efficient; consumes more power and generates more heat, it is a 95 w TDP chip so it is shipped with an Aluminum cube and a 65x65 mm fan which is not efficient enough to dissipate the heat, you will probably have to get a decent aftermarket cooler for it.
Bottom line is:If you are not overclocking get the A8 it is better value for the money.

AniAM

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014
@Anewg,what's BLCK?
And wow!! Thank you for the positivity towards 7600! I did hope for this also. 100 mhz difference cant be that much lack. The link and your view are the exact comaparison I was hoping for. One thing,7600 doesnt deal with 2133 capacity...so if I go with 2x4 gb 1600 MHz,hope it'll run fine.

logainofhades

Titan
The A8 and A10 do not have the same GPU performance. The A8 series always has a weaker GPU than the A10. That is the only real difference between an A10 and an A8. The 7700k can easily overclocked because it is an unlocked multiplier. AMD has not locked down the base clock like Intel has, though. If you intend to game on the APU, which I do not recommend, you need at least 2133 memory. The 7600 will support the same memory as the 7700k and 7850k. I don't recommend APU's for anything but HTPC builds and very basic builds that need a little better GPU for video.

AnEwG

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

They have exactly the same iGPU, maybe you should take a look at this:
http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/image//skymtl/CPU/KAVERI-APU/KAVERI-APU-10.png

to the OP: the BCLK stands for the bus clock or the fsb clock, some processors on certain chipsets with the right kind of RAM can be overclocked using the fsb clock.
As you can see as well there aren't any 'Dramatic' increases in frame rate from going from a 1866 MHz memory to 2133 MHz memory:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2014/01/14/amd-a8-7600-kaveri-review/11

What games will you playing at at what resolution and quality settings?

AnEwG

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
The only real advantage the 7700k has is the 'k', I really don't understand why did they set the prices +$30 apart just for the overclockability. Even the i5-4670 and the i5-4670k are only $20 apart.

logainofhades

Titan
The price of the 7xxx APU's in general is too high. I have yet to see an A8 7600 on PCpartpicker. The 7700k is $159. You could pick up a haswell Pentium g and a 250x for nearly that. Factor in the slightly more expensive ram needed to properly run an APU, and they would probably come out dead even.

AnEwG

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
But then I wouldn't recommend a dual core with two threads even for the cheapest gaming rigs. Even Pentium G's stronger cores are limited by modern titles and can cause a lot of stuttering and non smooth game play. Memory scaling doesn't increase performance that much and good quality RAM can be overclocked so a good quality pair of 1600 MHz RAM will do. The A8 is well priced and it is a great value chip for entry level gaming especially seeing how AMD has fixed Dual GPU issues with Kaveri, it can also be xfired with a R7 250 as a nice future upgrade. It can also handle higher GPUs but then that defies the whole idea of getting an APU in the first place.

logainofhades

Titan
The GPU in the A10 7850k is only about as good as an R7 240 at best. The 7700k is even worse. I would rather get the Pentium G and R7 250x now and get an better CPU later. Most games still only use 2 cores. You won't be playing high end games on a crippled APU either. The Pentium G and 250x will play most games far better. AMD hasn't fixed the dual GPU issues either. The THG Kaveri review stated that the problem is still there. In all honesty, I would prefer to save up for an i3 4130 at minimum for a gaming rig. It really isn't that much more.

AniAM

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014
I am not looking for any gaming rigs!! In fact,games come to me in the second place. My first priority for getting this processor with ASUS A88xM-A is for the heavy photographic purpose. I just wanted to know that whether I could play some games in my leisure time or not(such as hot pursuit,black ops 1,A.creed lol) Btw, @logan,these words ''Factor in the slightly more expensive ram needed to properly run an APU, and they would probably come out dead even'' really scared me out. Dead? One thing more,I did hope that this A8 would be an eqivalant of i5 series 3rd gen. My bad. :-(

AnEwG

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
The 7600 is not that much "worse", when they benched here on Tom's it was only few fps behind the 7850k:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a10-7850k-a8-7600-kaveri,3725-6.html
Duel cores perform horribly in modern games, I would NEVER get one for a gaming PC with the i3 being an exception because of hyper threading. Having two cores pegged at or near 100% CPU usage turns the game into a stuttery mess. Most modern games actually utilize 4 cores and some even can utilize more, what you are saying may have been true 4 years ago or so when benching the same game on a dual or a quad core only increased the performance by a few frames per second, just take a look at any benchmark for a modern game and you will see the dual cores even the stronger Intel Pentium G duel cores at the bottom of the chart. And if you take a look at frame time latencies you will understand why I am that strongly opposed to duel core processors for gaming. The exceptions being some online multiplayers. So why would you get a poorly performing entry level gaming PC only to upgrade later? You should either get a cheaper quad from the get go or wait until you can afford a better CPU. For its price the A8-7600 is unbeatable for entry level gaming; there isn't any CPU+GPU combination that can perform as well as it does at this price point. I didn't think much of APUs myself until I have seen people playing high end games on weaker Richland APUs because not everyone want to play games maxed out with 16x MSAA at 1080p or higher, some people are satisfied with lower settings and resolutions, and the games ran smooth at these settings.
Tom's benches were made using the 13.30 catalyst version, the 13.35 solved a lot of frame pacing problems:
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-A8-7600-Kaveri-APU-and-R7-250-Dual-Graphics-Testing-Pacing-Fixed/Battlefi

AnEwG

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
OP: What are the programs you are using exactly? For example for Photoshop you won't want to go with any thing other than an Intel processor.
Also if you take a look at the memory scaling charts I have posted you will realize that you don't need expensive memory with an APU because the performance gain isn't worth it.

AniAM

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014
Thanking AMD for making this lovely APU. Dont know why that processor attracts me a LOT. Probably for doing so fine with the GPUs. And its power flow. 45w. That's the reason I wanna go for this 7600. Great piece for the 20s like me. ;-)

ohyouknow

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011

It is not equivalent to the i5 series in compute performance. It will handle any freelance photography work quite fine, just make sure you transfer photos via USB 3.0 reader, have a decent amount of RAM, and offload and render your photos on a nice SSD or fast HDD. You will feel the difference there. If you want to multitask while rendering/batching photos you will need to spend on something with more meat cpu-wise.

Someone mentioned the price premium on 2133 RAM, which is the sweet spot on a Kaveri chip, I bought some 2133 RAM 8GB for 65 bucks so don't even worry about that stuff just wait for a Newegg deal to strike. If you aren't overly concerned with graphical nirvana the A-8 etc. will game perfectly fine with the right settings. If you're ok with the price, which I am not fond of, then go for it. See if you live close to a Microcenter to get some deals as well. Cheers.

AniAM

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014
I'm from India buddy. Here we do pay around 40 usd more to get a processor. That's why cant spend much on the RAM :-( Help wuth it's mo.bo. Asus A88XM-A. Will this run in a decent way?

AnEwG

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
Yes.
They are two chips branded with the same model number except that one of them has higher TDP and is faster than the other one.
Edit: Sorry that was a mistake, it seems the chip itself can run either at 45 w TDP with lower performance or at 65 w TDP with higher performance.

TRENDING THREADS