The Apple T.V.

They have the money for it for sure.

More and more people seem to be watching on mobile devices now days. I am not sure how good of a market it is to get into. It is very crowded.

They already have a box that makes any TV a "smart TV" so to speak anyway.

It would take lots of work to push some of the top end models out of the way, but again, they have the money for it.

Lets keep this thread clean too. Do not want all kinds of flames happening over this topic.

thdslater

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
I think its definitely on the cards. I can see it being a huge success too
http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/apple/apple-television-itv-hdtv-tv-set-release-date-rumours-3375319/

jmferris

Reputable
May 5, 2015

As far as an actual television unit goes, I am wary of them being able to accomplish much. As a former Apple product owner, I am comfortable in my opinion that Apple quality is only average, in their product lines. Where they succeed is in marketing, and that becomes the wild card. One of the reason's that Apple's current business model works is that they mostly are in a product space where short-cycle upgrades are acceptable.

Considering the premium you pay for an Apple-branded product, I just do not see them providing something that is enough advanced from its competitors to command a premium. I find that today's consumer television market is absolutely flooded with quality products at a price point that Apple will simply not try to compete with. Now, if they are actually pushing their rumored STB competitor/companion, that may be a different story. There is definitely room in that market, to an extent. However, they have not succeeded when they have tried it in the past, and no one really has, ultimately. My guess is that there is nothing compelling enough to the general public for such a device. Technologically inclined people may want these devices, but when I look at someone like my father, I realize that he is the general consumer that needs to be targeted, and those products continue to fall short; especially when there are so many televisions and peripherals with "Smart" features already built in.